Home Video Management

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dannybagpipes, Feb 13, 2012.

1. dannybagpipes macrumors newbie

I have a Canon Vixia HF M300 and I record HD video in MTS files.

I want to:

1 - Stream video from network hard drives that are hardwired into the network over my wireless router (Airport Extreme) to my MacBook Pro and a Dell laptop.

2 - Retain high quality files - if files need to be converted I don't want to lose quality

3 - Edit video - preferably be able to actually remove parts of a video and not store unnecessary parts of it. I'd like to be able to make a nice video with music and effects

Please help me meet the goals above.

2. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Maybe?

Only problem I see is streaming the videos. It would be easier to put the videos on a external drive. I only say this due to problems with sharing between computers over wifi, of course I don't know the full power of networks power.
    If you can stream them with quality then everything is easier and less expensive. can't help with that part, just trying to save you some possible headaches and time if the network is slow. I have never had luck with sharing videos over a network, files are just to big. Granted I'm using cable internet to airpot extreme.
    Good luck sorry couldn't be much help.

3. Keebler macrumors 68030

I'm in a similar boat with a panny HD900.

for 1. use VLC on both machines and just open the files from the networked location. I'm in the same boat and I don't think there's an effective way to stream them. The only challenge with the mts files is their size - ie. not small. Combine that with the laptop screens not really maximizing the full HD res and it's kind of overkill imho. Your machines have to be powerful enough as well as the mts files can chug on lacking machines.

2. again, depends on 1. I've found that converting the files to mp4 still results in pretty good quality, but definitely not the same HD quality.

3. I don't know if there's a way to edit out parts of an MTS file. I know I rewrap them using Clipwrap then dump them into FCX for editing, but I'm outputting to Blu Ray and mp4. I simply can't believe the quality of the Blu Ray files. The discs aren't cheap nor was the burner, but the quality is just WOW! imho :)

Here's what I'm doing (and this drives me nuts), but it's the only method I think works:

1. dump MTS files from SD card and camcorder to an internal hard drive.

2. back that folder up using carbon copy cloner to another HD. CCC does this automatically.

3. dump files into from 1st HD into FCX. Make note of the useless files. Usually I'm pretty good, but at times, I record something by accident or it's only a few seconds. I edit the footage and output to blu ray and multiple Apple TV files (ipad and ipod or iphone depending on the situation ie. sports stuff for the kids).

4. I use MetaX to add details to the Apple files. Works slick and looks neat onscreen.

5. back the apple device files from within iTunes to another HD. Again, using CCC - such a fantastic app!

4. go back to 1st HD and delete those useless files (if any)

For now, this is what I do. I don't record a ton, but not little either. Middle of the road amount I would say. The compressed MTS files are ok size wise - especially compared to rewrapping to prores files which are just massive.

The missing part is some sort of a file based organizer like Aperture. My photos are all organized in folders by year - month - day, but for now, the video files are organized by event, but that's driving me nuts. I may go through and sort them by the same pattern.

It's definitely a different process than tape lol

Cheers,
    Keebler

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

5. Keebler macrumors 68030

Too bad the app crashes while importing mts files :(. Cheked the forum and they're looking into it.