Home Video Workflow Tips for FCE

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Bigebee, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Bigebee macrumors newbie

I use our video camera to capture 1-2 minute clips of our kids over a span of a couple months or so. After a few months when the dv tape fills, I'll mark the tape as something like, "2008 Jan-March". When I was on the PC side, I would be able to batch capture the clips and store on a hard drive and then send the original tape to our lock box at the bank for storage. I liked the fact we are able to view individual clips whenever we want, and if I ever become so determined as to add a bunch of clips together for a movie project, I will know what tapes to go get and which clips I want.

So to the new issue. Now on the Mac side and with no batch capture with FCE, all I have is one long 14 gig QT movie. Is there any way to seperate out the clips without manually having to go in and set in and out points? What are some of your workflow tips when dealing with home video?

2. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

Thanks for asking this. Being new to FCE I'm wondering the same thing. I just encountered what you did. On the PC when I captured in Vegas it would automatically create a separate 'clip' each time a stop / start was detected (a break in the time code I guess). I tried the same thing a few nights ago in FCP using the 'Capture Now' function. I wound up with one long 25 min clip instead of what should have been 5 individual clips. Like you, I'm now thinking clip capture method marking in / out points is the correct option.

Is there a method to capture the whole tape or parts of the tape, yet have FCE correctly detect the individual clips? If not, are there any 3rd party utilities that provide a similar function (possibly iMovie -- haven't checked)?

Thanks -

Wayne

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

Yeah, sadly, this is what makes FCE, "E". If you want batch capture, they make you get FCP.

I wish I could give you a better answer...
    My daughter is just about to turn 3 and I have no less than 30 hours of tapes I have to go through this year ( 2008 ) . I always do a "year in review" sort of DVD for the grandparents, etc.

Anyway... for me, not having a batch capture isn't so bad...you end up having to watch all the video anyway, so doing basic cuts, with the scrubber and the razor here and there isn't much extra work.

Oh I just realized, from your post, it looks like you aren't using the razor.

What I do might not be the "right" way to do this but it works...
    click on the razor tool, position the play head on the timeline where you want to cut, click to cut it, and then make the 2nd cut, then swutch back to the pointer tool and drag the highlighted clip to the clip browser window.

Then you can build up all of your clips like you wanted and still quickly move through the sequence. If you have the sequence set to the filmstrip mode, it's often helpful as well. ( I usually find that really annoying, but it's helpful here )

Hope this helps!

4. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

After doing some brief reading it looks like the 'Capture Now' function is really intended to capture material for which FCE can't remotely control (i.e. break out boxes or live material), so it doesn't look like it'll detect clips.

I read something else that it seems marking in / out points is the preferred method as FCE doesn't have a media manager.

Can anyone confirm these things?

Thanks -

Wayne

5. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

You posted as I was typing another reply. Thanks!

At first, I thought this was a disappointment, but I see what I think is the correct workflow. Someone please correct me if needed.

1. Create a 'bin' for the media
    2. Capture the big (long) clip by marking the initial in / out points at the beginning and end OR the whole thing with 'capture now'
    3. Select the clip or clips and from the 'mark' menu use the 'DV Start/Stop Detect' to add markers
    4. Produce sub-clips based off those markers

Is this a good procedure?

Wayne

6. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Yes.

7. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

Ok, cool. Not as easy as batch import, but I can live with that. Can't justify FCP for my use! :D

Thanks -

Wayne

8. Bigebee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help

I really appreciate the help on this guys. I'm currently in the middle of having FCE do the "DV Start/Stop" detect.

For the "subclips"...are we then taking the razor tool and manually cutting the start and stop points and dragging them to the bin or correct storage folder? So will I be able to view the individual clips I just "cut" - outside of FCE? I.E. Open finder and navigate to December 2008 and see the 10 or so clips I just cut and view them or do I have to go back into FCE and open this "project" to view the clips?

9. Bigebee thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, after doing the "DV Start/Stop Detect" it did add the markers. When I tried to go to "Modify" then "Make Subclips" it is all greyed out. I can manually go to each marker and use the razor to make the seperate clips but what am I missing?