home wifi media set up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bcburrows, Nov 12, 2009.

1. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Hey been posting here recently regarding setting up a wireless home media system. Well I have now ordered the hardware so if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Essentially
    1Tb Time capsule - latest model (TC)
    1Tb Western Digital My Book - World Edition (WD)
    Ethernet - all Gigabit using Cat6 cables

Now I think initially TV macbook pro set up will be wired for speed, then set up for wifi back up.

My thoughts then were WD to TC via ethernet/ USB (thoughts which best), short cable keeping them close together - but both will be hidden out the way but will be well ventilated.

Then TC to PS3 now either WiFi or ethernet connection between these? I will be using the PS3 for playing video/audio from the WD BUT my MBP would also perhaps play media which I think would then have to wifi as obviously I dont want cables going everywhere when I am getting all this wifi.....

Obviously if my exposure to the increased electrical radiation in my house gives me any superpowers then I will let you know my set up :)

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

My opinion (and this is purely just that), connect the WD to the TC via Ethernet. The USB is handy, but the speeds will probably be better over the WD's Ethernet interface rather than the TC's USB. Also, hardwire your PS3. If you'll be streaming media, it'll be a much smoother experience with Ethernet. The MBP will be fine streaming media over the TC's 802.11n 5 GHz band (~300 Mbps), so no need to hardwire it.

As for the superpowers, I'm currently waiting on my x-ray vision, but no such luck as of yet :( Good luck with yours though!