home wifi network slows down considerably

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chuchichan2524, Jun 17, 2010.

1. chuchichan2524 macrumors regular

Hello,

I have a home wifi network consisting of two Airport Express devices. One is a newer "N" and one is a "G". The "N" is connected to my modem (I have a fiber connection). The "G" is setup to extend the network and I use it to connect to a stereo.

What happens is that my wifi network starts out relatively fast and slows down basically to a "crawl". To fix this I have to shutdown my modem.

Does anyone know what may cause this? The wired LAN connection is always fast and the speed is unchanged during all of these issues with the wifi.

Thanks in advance for any help...

2. myjay610 macrumors regular

Try changing the channels they are broadcasting on...could be some kind of interference between the two, but that's just a wild guess. There are a ton of 802.11 signals on my black and I have to constantly change my channel to keep a decent bandwidth on wireless. Not to mention the router Verizon FIOS gives you is a POS when it comes to wireless speed.

3. mrbash macrumors 6502

I had a similar situation when I was living in a condominium. There were a lot of wireless devices around, and I guess they were interfering with my AE device. Since moving to a different location with fewer wireless devices, my wireless speed has stayed consistent.