Home wireless audio solutions- not many for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vwDavid, Dec 28, 2007.

1. vwDavid macrumors regular

I've been researching this for some time now. There are a number of products on the market, but none do what I really want on the Mac platform.

My iMac is my audio hub with about 70 gigs of tunes and my iPod touch is just an adjunct portable player. All my home audio is played through the iMac. Luckily the iMac in the den is easy to hard wire to the stereo in the living room. However, this is not so easily done in the Kitchen and MBedroom where I increasingly would like to have audio.

So I was looking at wireless solutions and there just aren't many that do what I'd like at a reasonable price point.

I've considered:

-Airport express
    -Logitech wireless music system for PC
    -Logitech wireless music DJ for PC
    -Philips Streamium
    -Various blue tooth audio adapters
    -Sonos
    -Roku

For me, the ideal system would be the Logitech wireless music DJ because you can access all your tunes from the remote and get wireless audio transmission, but it doesn't have Mac software.

Sonos is great but too much $. Roku os too much $ for a bedroom application. Philips streamium seams very interesting for a whole house solution and the price is OK, but not really available in the US that I have seen.
    Logitech's don't do well on Mac.
    I'd like something a little more usable than just an airport express.

I really see a whole in the market for wireless home audio on Mac. I wish it fill here and now.

Does anyone have any product suggestions that I missed or can recommend me to a better forum to discuss these matters?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Roku Soundbridges can frequently be picked up cheaply via discount sellers and eBay. I paid around half price for mine and it works well (via Firefly running on an old G4 server)

3. amik macrumors regular

Squeezebox is a good solution but won't play iTunes store files unless you strip the apple drm off the file.

avsforum, audio asylum, sterophile forum, and diyaudio are a few of the audio forums that I frequent and wireless music is a common topic on several. Slim Devices has their own forum for the squeezebox which is quite good as well.