Home Wireless Connection Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LowDownBrown, Aug 1, 2010.

1. LowDownBrown macrumors newbie

I need some help with a problem.

For about a year I have been able to access my home network with absolutely no problems. The network uses a Netgear router with 802.11g and has a Windows PC hardwired and a Windows laptop that connects wirelessly. There is a modem that feeds into the router.

I switch between two networks frequently. One network is password protected and the other is not because of it's proximity to other networks, which is far.

My problem is that as of about two weeks ago my MBP quit connecting to my home network. I have tried all the usual Reseting of Safari and Cache Clearing. The weird things is all the other devices in the house including my iPod touch connect fine. Also, when I go to the other network I frequent, my MBP connects fine.

When I open Safari usually the connection will just timeout. Sometimes the window will load after a few minutes, especially to Google or Apple.com and then work fine for a page or two and then stall again. The Airport status at the top right says it is connected through all of this.

I am at a loss and thought maybe some of you have had this problem or know a fix.

2. LowDownBrown thread starter macrumors newbie

By the way, if this post has a separate thread somewhere else or a sticky, merge me mods. I'm at work and didn't have the time to search them all :D

3. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Reboot the wireless router.

If it still occurs, see if you can get the IP addresses of all your devices as I suspect you may have an IP conflict. If this is the case, it might be worth reserving an IP for your MBP on the router but don't forget to renew your IP (or in OSX lingo, renew DHCP lease) on your MBP to pick up the new IP.