Homebrew now out on the New DSi!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Tokiopop, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

If you're like me, and you love your homebrew and Nintendo, you will be delighted to hear about AceKart! You'll also be pleased to hear that Moonshell (homebrew media player for DS) works on this too. And because it will work with almost any MicroSD card (yes, including SDHC), you can have up to 32 gigs of music, video, and homebrew all on your DS!

AceKart is basically like all the other Flash Cards for the DS, but this one will now work on the new DSi.

The DSi is onkly out in Japan at the moment, but upon Europe release I will defiantly be getting one of these. No going back to the Lite and R4 for when I want my DSLinux :cool:

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I hope this is to play homebrew and not to simply pirate games.

3. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Well, a lot of people will be pirating games. I'm not sure if this one lets you put games on, but I'm pretty sure it will. Useful if you want to put games on you already own instead of carrying them around with you, bad if people will up Micro SD cards with ROMs. Can't wait until I get to play my Rubix Cube game on the DSi! :D

Edit: It's kinda like Jailbreak on iPhone/iPod Touch. You can use it for apps/homebrew we're not allowed to have, but they can also be used for piracy.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

yes... for "homebrew" *wink wink*

5. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

You can legally put DS games on them too, y'know :) I backed up all my DS games onto my R4 (for my Lite) so I don't have to lug my game wallet around with my DS.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No you didn't, because any form of backup breaks Nintendo's EULA.

7. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Oh, of course. Backing up something you paid for, that sounds like something that should be made illegal. Stupid unreasonable... *mumbles*

Ah well, back to the primitive days of carrying around games.

Edit: WAIT WAIT WAIT. I'm damn sure if you convert your game into a ROM, for your use only, that it is legal. Or am I mistaken?

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You are mistaken, Jimmi is spot on. Any sort of backup is against the EULA.

9. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Ah, oh well. I can live without all my DS games in one.

Love your signature btw ;)

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Lemmings DS was very ace and I'm surprised Rockstar didn't release a 1:1 port of the original themselves. That's the only DS homebrew I play now... Since Cavestory DS has been stopped (still got the PSP one though).

11. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

This is once again an example of something that's illegal but misconstrued to be legal because it's moral and there's really nothing wrong with it.

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Illegal and breaking an EULA are two different things.

13. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

So, backing up my games is not illegal? :confused:

14. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

You know how game disks usually say "Do not copy"? That mean DO NOT COPY, for whatever reason you have.

15. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

The only disk that I have that says 'Please do not copy' is Windows 2000, but I scribbled it out because, well, it's Windows. :p

But I've done some research, and it appears in America backing up your games IS illegal, but in other places it's perfectly legal to dump your ROMs for your own use. Do you save music off the album you bought onto your computer? Yes, you do. In my eyes doing it with games is just the same. Besides, they're not losing money from me backing what I paid for up.