Home HomeKit automation suddenly stopped working in Apple's Home app

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by striders, Jan 12, 2017.

1. striders macrumors 6502

I have multiple HomeKit compatible devices (Philips Hue, ecobee, Koogek, iHome) and they all work just fine with Apple Home app.
    All the devices show up in the Home app and I don't have to use the individual devices app. I also have AppleTV 4th generation.

I setup 2 simple automation with the Home app:
    - Turn off devices at 11:00 PM
    - Turn on devices at 8:00 AM

Works well for months. Suddenly as of 2 days ago, the automation no longer works. The setup is still in the Home app but no longer activated at the scheduled time.

I tried:
    - removing and re-adding the automation in Home App
    - checking to make sure I can control each devices in the Home App
    - rebooting AppleTV

No dice.

Anyone experienced the same issue?

2. sirgromit macrumors member

I've experienced this issue and determined that it was caused by being locked out of my Apple ID. This was extremely frustrating as Apple does not notify a user when their account becomes locked or even why it has become locked. Upon unlocking the account, automations resumed working.

I would highly recommend that the Apple ID used with HomeKit be tied to a unique email address that is not known/used anywhere else to hopefully eliminate the chances of being locked out of your Apple ID. I would guess that the most common reason for this is a random internet user trying to guess your Apple ID password.

3. jmomls macrumors newbie

jmomls

I had a similar issue. Homekit disappeared from ATV and Home app on iPhone was blank. I tried the steps you took and then some. Turns out un-pairing the device [thermostat] from the network and re-pairing it solved it. About five minutes after re-pairing Homekit automagically reappeared in ATV settings and Home app on phone started working again.

4. striders thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm.. that's interesting. So unpairing the thermostat (ecobee) from HomeKit fix the issue with automation with other devices (not ecobee)?

5. jmomls macrumors newbie

jmomls

No, but I don't have any other devices. It did fix the issue of the ATV / iPhone not being able to see/control any of these devices. Maybe it would work for this case?

6. striders thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I may give this a shot.

Right now the Apple Home app can see/control all my devices. It's just the automation part no longer work in the Home app.