Homekit could make my watch worth having

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by m021478, May 14, 2015.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

Don't get me wrong, I love my Apple Watch... but mainly because I'm a tech geek who happily drinks the Apple kool-Aid. Truth is though, there's very little about it that I find indispensable at this point, and I've been counting on third party app developers to give my watch more of a purpose as they release amazing new apps that give it capabilities I haven't even thought of yet.

But when I read moments ago that Apple announced that the first Homekit smart devices will arrive in June at the WWDC, I had a premonition that one day very soon my watch would be the device that I would use to control all of the home automation devices throughout my home.

Simply raising my watch and saying "Hey Siri, turn off my lights, set my thermostat to 70°, close my garage door, and set my house alarm to 'night' mode."

Then there's the Apple TV refresh that everyone's expecting at WWDC... It gets really exciting when you consider how I might be able to tell Siri on my watch to do something and then watch as my Apple TV completes the command on the big screen (beyond just playback of movies, TV shows, and music)... For example, "Hey Siri, show me a slideshow of the pictures I took at the zoo last week on my living room TV"... etc.

Very exciting stuff! Anyone else care to speculate on some clever and creative ways that Homekit, the Apple Watch, the refreshed Apple TV, and the like might be able to play nicely with each other?

2. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

i have the do button app and it can control my wink hub and lights/thermostat.
    set it up yesterday.

3. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

I would say that the Apple watch is worth having already because of glance-able information and interactive notifications.

But it looks like HomeKit is going to be delayed another few months. In the meantime you can still do some of the things you are talking about by using apps like IFTTT and Workflow. You could also use txt or twitter integration to use Siri the way you are referencing (if your HA system can kick off events via txt or Twitter, then you can send it messages via Siri).

Overall I agree that HA offers a lot of potential with the watch. I'd love to be able to ask questions too, like what's the temp inside, or did I leave the back porch light on.

4. starbot macrumors regular

Tl;dr, couldn't agree more with the OP!

Pretty annoyed my old Sony Google TV can't be controlled by the watch, and only marginally through the google remote app (not updated since iP4...)

5. skyking517 macrumors regular

I am just looking forward to the NEST app and maybe one for my Alarm company, that would be pretty cool.

6. macsplusmacs macrumors regular

I think home kit and the watch are a match made in heaven.

here's hoping for June we start to see the fruits.

7. m021478 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, the article I linked to in my initial post was Apple's public response to the article Fortune published about Homekit's delay (the WSJ article was posted less than 5 hours after the Fortune article). So it does look like Homekit is still on track for early June!

8. mbhforum macrumors 6502

I'm sick of hearing about Homekit. Apple has been talking about it for a year and there is no indication when we will see it in action and how it will work and what it will work with.