Home HomeKit for Mac?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Zcott, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Zcott macrumors 68020

Are there any HomeKit apps for Mac for when I don't have an iOS device to hand?

2. Sakurambo-kun macrumors 6502

Sakurambo-kun

Homekit doesn't exist on the Mac as far as I know, and it's missing in action in Sierra too.

There's a decent Hue app on the Mac App store called Chroma which is worth a look. Other than that though, I haven't found much.

3. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I think it will be added to Siri on the Mac eventually, currently you get a "I can't help you with HomeKit here" when trying to use it.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but seemed better than starting a new one. Anyway I been renovating my bedroom since around the time Sierra was released and just finished and hooked up my Hue again. Noticed no Homekit support and was a bit stunned Siri didn't work here. Anyone know why? Seems a bit odd and unfinished seeing it's been on iOS for a few releases now. Certainly it can't be a hardware issue.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

[sarcasm]Because you were talking to Siri Jr and Siri Jr doesn't know who Siri Sr is or how to content it.[/sarcasm]

Pet Peeve: Sri really needs to be a singularity and not a collection of semi-affiliated services.

6. NOITAIDAR macrumors member

NOITAIDAR

So from a Technical standpoint, the problem with introducing HomeKit control on a Mac, is that pesky thing called security.

If your Mac had HomeKit control, then your home could be hacked. A Personal Computer is more likely to be remotely controlled by malware/trojans, than a (non-jailbroken) iOS device. This would negate Apple's whole stance on implementing the HomeKit encryption hardware on all HomeKit compatible devices.

Yes, it's a pain that Sierra can't control HomeKit, but it's much more secure that way.

I would imagine that at some point they will have to do something about it, but that will likely require new hardware that contains hard-wired Homekit encryption chips. Most probably in new computer releases, but maybe in a new magic keyboard, with a Siri button (like the Apple TV Siri Remote)?

7. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Why couldn't it use the AppleTV or iPad to do it then? Just like your phone or AppeTV remote currently works...
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2016 ---

Which Hue system do you have?

Edit to add: if your system is older it isn't HomeKit compatible, you will need to purchase a new hub: http://www2.meethue.com/en-us/productdetail/philips-hue-bridge

8. NOITAIDAR macrumors member

NOITAIDAR

Because the minute your mac can control something, doesn't matter if it's doing it via another device, your mac is essentially controlling it.

A Mac is infinitely more susceptible to hacking than an iPad or an Apple TV, because it's an open operating system. You can write and run programs on it that do not have to be vetted by the Apple App Store teams.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, I understand that, but I have a Gen 2 w/ Homekit. Works great with iPad/iPhone, just curious why it wasn't integrated into Siri for Mac.

I'm not buying into the whole "your Mac could get hacked" excuse. If my Mac can get hacked then there are better things for the hackers to get at than my lights. Also hackers already have found a way to hack "Internet of Things" devices directly. I was reading this article just this week about hackers distributing viruses wirelessly though smart devices like light bulbs.

10. NOITAIDAR macrumors member

NOITAIDAR

That's why HomeKit devices are more secure, because of their encryption chip. The devices that were hacked to take down Dyn a few weeks ago were all non-HomeKit, mostly Chinese origin DVRs, with hard-codes passwords!

11. Rudi9719 macrumors newbie

Rudi9719

Not to burst your bubble, but macOS is extremely hardened to hackers for multiple reasons. I actually am a network technician, and am constantly trying to bust in to the machines I manage.

However, I would like to point out that by saying HomeKit devices are more secure because of their encryption chip- your argument is invalid as MacBooks now ship with the same Secure Enclave (which is the proper term for this encryption chip) as the other devices. (Which the AppleTV actually doesn't have.) Now, another point. You mentioned that macOS is more apt to get hacked because it's an open operating system. Yes, it does have open sourced components, yes that means there could be more vulnerabilities. But if you know anything about development on macOS you know that in order to write a program that interfaces with apple's kits- it has to enable the entitlements. Which means it has to be signed by a registered developer. Which means if someone writes malware against HomeKit- not only will Apple block the entitlement, taking away that app's access to the HomeKit APIs, it will also block the developer. Meaning that developer (or team) can no longer release or sign applications.

Sorry for the necro, I just can't stand ignorance and am trying to get HomeKit working on my Mac, and came across this.