HomeKit Homekit for the Pool

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by imola.zhp, Apr 24, 2018.

1. imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

I searched first but either did not search the right terms or the topic does not already exist. I have also searched google but cannot find what I am looking for.

We have a pool at my mother-in-laws house that was put in in the mid 90's, the location of the pool equipment and the switches to control the equipment (and the lights) is unfortunate. At times she is challenged with mobility and she lives alone. This combined with weather has us looking for options.

At our home I have recently gone a bit crazy with homekit devices, a phillips hue starter kit for Christmas 2017 kicked off this craze. The color changing bulbs are fun and sometimes Siri works well, lol. Then I switched a ton of timers and ETEK City remote outlets for iHome outlets.

Anyhow, I can't help but wonder if homekit enabled switches exist that could take over pool duty for her which would put everyone more at ease. There are a total of 4 switches.
    Switch 1: Pool Pump
    Switch 2: Pool Cleaner (Polaris) Pump
    Switch 3: Light One - Currently Halogen
    Switch 4: Light Two - Currently Halogen

Safety is a huge concern, of course, we do not want to trade a mobility concern for a fire concern. I realize, also, that I am posting this not knowing the draws of the motors or lights. I will update that as soon as I can get back out there if it looks like this is something is even possible. If needed, we could switch the pool bulbs to LED, but of course without buying new pumps the power they draw just is what it is.

Thanks in advance, if this has been discussed before please feel free to point me in that direction.

2. wesley96 macrumors 6502

wesley96

3. imola.zhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

Thank you for your response. However, none of these components are plugged in, they are all hard-wired in with traditional single-pole switches. Similar to a traditional light switch in a traditional US home. Right now they are exposed to the elements, rated to be outdoors, but if an indoor switch that could work is available; it could be housed in a weather-tight outdoor enclosure. Once added to HomeKit, the switches would likely never need to be physically used again.

4. MonstaMash macrumors regular

MonstaMash

Would the Fibaro Single Switch work in your case? You would need to wire 4 of these, one per switch.

https://manuals.fibaro.com/hk-switch/

5. imola.zhp thread starter macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

Thank you for sharing that option, I had no idea that even existed. It says it is only good for 8 amps continuous use, I still have not been back out there to look at the motors to see what amps they pull. This could be an option if the rating works for the pumps. The only potential problem I could see is trying to tuck that device into the existing boxes, but those single boxes could be changed out for double boxes for extra room without too much additional work.

6. djjclark macrumors regular

Consider getting a pool contractor involved. Pump motor power needs vary with some needing a 230V system. You will probably need at least a 15 amp switch that can handle inductive loads. Look in to an automation control system like from Hayward with WiFi. More money than you thought but nobody dies and the house doesn’t burn down.