Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the1payday

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Amarillo, TX
Is it ever going to realistically happen? I know about Homebridge, but I'm curious about if people think that Nest will ever introduce a HomeKit compatible model.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
With Google going down their own road of home automation (Google Home), I think it's unlikely that any of their products (like Nest) would support Apple's HomeKit.

Suture

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
I'd love to have our Dropcams work with HomeKit, but as aristocrat said above, I don't see it happening anytime soon. I still hope someone figures something out.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
With Google going down their own road of home automation (Google Home), I think it's unlikely that any of their products (like Nest) would support Apple's HomeKit.
It works with Amazon's Echo, it seems more like it's on Apple's end but nobody really knows from what I can tell.

Reactions: aristobrat

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I think I'd rather move from Nest to EVO or whatever it is at that point
I initially had the same thought, with other items that didn't work with Siri as well. In the end, I figured I spent several hundred on things that aren't compatible and seeing Apple make no movement to adopt I just gave up on it. As for the Nest, it does work with the Amazon Echo but the language is strict enough that I don't care to remember it and I end up just using the app anyway.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
I initially had the same thought, with other items that didn't work with Siri as well. In the end, I figured I spent several hundred on things that aren't compatible and seeing Apple make no movement to adopt I just gave up on it. As for the Nest, it does work with the Amazon Echo but the language is strict enough that I don't care to remember it and I end up just using the app anyway.
I just use "Alexa, set the thermostat to 73" and it works just fine. I can also use "turn up the thermostat" or "turn down the thermostat."
Doesn't seem to require much specific language. You do have to specify the name of the thermostat, since you may have more than one. I only have one in my house and I named it "thermostat" to make life easy.

Reactions: ericgtr12

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I just use "Alexa, set the thermostat to 73" and it works just fine. I can also use "turn up the thermostat" or "turn down the thermostat."
Doesn't seem to require much specific language. You do have to specify the name of the thermostat, since you may have more than one. I only have one in my house and I named it "thermostat" to make life easy.
Yeah, it's always remembering the name that gets me. Good call renaming it, takes the guess work out of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.