Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Because HomeKit is very unreliable, I had to remove my Home and reinstall everything. One thing that worked flawlessly was location based automation for me and my partner. Now, in the newly created Home, automations are not triggered based on the location of my partner.

No settings on their phone have been altered. How can I troubleshoot this? In typical Apple fashion there are no logs, no error messages, no nothing. So what can I try?

(the usual suspects like "location services", etc on the phone are all enabled, as I said it worked before on that phone)

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Because HomeKit is very unreliable, I had to remove my Home and reinstall everything. One thing that worked flawlessly was location based automation for me and my partner. Now, in the newly created Home, automations are not triggered based on the location of my partner.

No settings on their phone have been altered. How can I troubleshoot this? In typical Apple fashion there are no logs, no error messages, no nothing. So what can I try?

(the usual suspects like "location services", etc on the phone are all enabled, as I said it worked before on that phone)
Every so often, I will get this too and it just corrects itself after a day or two. Unacceptable but I learned to live with it as I haven’t found a solution.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I'm sure you've checked, but..
I'm guessing you're sharing the home with your partner?
if so, you've enabled remote access?

since it's a location based, the automation will be happening away from your home wifi.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I’d make sure your new automations have your partner listed as activating said automations. And make sure the automations aren’t set for first person and it’s not running because you are already there, etc.

Also just cause things happen, make sure the right device of his is being used to determine his location.

My mom said her automations where not working right so I go over to her house and she had managed to change her location to be based on her iPad instead of her iPhone. I have no clue how she randomly did that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.