Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Anker's eufy brand is starting the rollout of HomeKit Secure Video support, which will allow eufyCam 2 and eufyCam 2C home security cameras to work with Apple's HomeKit Secure Video feature.

eufycam-2.jpg

The 2.1.0.4h firmware update that enables HomeKit Secure Video will be rolling out starting today, but the full rollout will take two to three weeks, so it will be some time before it is available to all eufyCam 2 users.

With HomeKit Secure Video, recorded footage will be stored in iCloud with end-to-end encryption, and motion detection will be done on device. Video footage will be able to be viewed in the Home app, which will also deliver rich notifications when movement is detected.

HomeKit Secure Video does not have a monthly fee associated it with it, but it does require the 200GB or 1TB iCloud storage plans, priced at $2.99 or $9.99 per month, respectively. Though a higher-tier iCloud storage plan is required, video footage does not count against iCloud storage limits.

The 200GB works for a single HomeKit Secure Camera, while the 1TB plan works for up to five HomeKit Secure Cameras. Viewing footage from a HomeKit Secure Camera like the eufyCam 2 remotely requires a home hub, which can be a HomePod, Apple TV, or iPad.

The eufyCam 2 and 2C systems feature 1080p video recording, night vision, weatherproofing, and wire-free operation with a single charge lasting up to a year.

A eufyCam 2 security system with two cameras and hub is priced at $300 on Amazon, while a eufyCam 2C security system with two cameras and hub can be purchased for $187.

Article Link: HomeKit Secure Video Support Rolling Out for Anker's eufyCam 2 and 2C

Last edited:
Reactions: zubikov

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
I thought Anker was affordable.

Go check some of the other prices of competitors; much more when you factor in their mandatory cloud subscription cost. Eufy stores locally and doesnt charge monthly for AI features..

Arlo 2 Pro are $50 less at $250 on sale (at least right now as they are replaced with newer models), but you have to pay $6-10/month ( $2.99 per month per camera, or $9.99 per month for up to ten cameras) to use them

If you are paying Apple the $10/month for secure video, I guess its a wash other than camera cost. I have no intention to pay $10/motnh for 2TB of iCloud (dont own a Mac or store anything in iCloud other than my iOS backup) so Eufy wins for me.

But then regardless of iCloud cost the 2C 2-pack at $187 is hard to beat that price regardless

Last edited:

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
Please Apple, for the love of all that is holy, add support for "motion zones" to HSV... The development cost will be paid for in lowered storage costs... I have almost all notifications turned off since I live in an Urban area and the camera can't differentiate between a person walking on the street, and a person walking up to my door...

MacRumuer

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2015
I bought the Eufy Video Doorbell 2k. IMO the best wireless video doorbell. I hope they add HomeKit support.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Please Apple, for the love of all that is holy, add support for "motion zones" to HSV... The development cost will be paid for in lowered storage costs... I have almost all notifications turned off since I live in an Urban area and the camera can't differentiate between a person walking on the street, and a person walking up to my door...
In this article, it says motion detection for this is done on-device and not in the cloud, so that should be more of an Anker request, no?

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I’m using HomeKit Secure Video with a Logitech Circle 2 camera right now. It’s good, but I find the camera misses some action sometimes, most likely due to a bad Wi-Fi connection.

For anyone that uses the Eufy 2C, how do you find the local storage? I almost wonder if that's better than using HomeKit Secure Video.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I can’t recommend these. I bought a set for my grandparents and they added a third. The image quality was decent and they had a pretty good connection. Where they fall flat on their face is motion detection. At first I thought my grandpa had configured it improperly. Once social distancing guidelines were relaxed we traveled to see them and I tried out all the settings myself and couldn’t get it to work properly.

They live at the end of a long gravel driveway and we’re wanting to pick up vehicles that come down it because sometimes kids come down and spin their gravel everywhere in their drive circle and my grandpa is 80 so it’s hard for him to clean that up and fix it and I live far away. He wanted to get their license plates on camera. Well on a lot of settings it wouldn’t even pick up cars. By the time it did it would pick up lots of tree shadow movement on the ground. It wouldn’t really pick up people very well unless it was on people only mode and in that mode it doesn’t pick up any cars. Even after turning down the motion settings really low for the other cameras they would just send motion alerts all day long and quickly burn through the batteries, which were hard for him to get on a ladder and charge every few weeks for three cameras. Obviously that also makes the alerts feature useless and annoyed the crap out of them. So they sent everything back to Amazon.

I’ve been looking at reviews for other cameras and it doesn’t seem like any of them do as good a job as Ring. I have two Ring cameras and especially in the past year the software has gotten way better. As much as I hate Ring for lying about HomeKit support and for creepy Amazon owning them now (they didn’t when I first bought them), they are good cameras and their motion zones are more robust and better at not triggering for shadows and such. I’m seriously considering buying them a couple stick up cams. They already have the Ring Doorbell so why not?

jphall

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
I thought Anker was affordable.

I've been watching camera prices come down for several years, this 2C camera is when I finally clicked "buy". My decision two months ago was motivated by the (what was then) upcoming HSV as many of the others I saw had "plans".

edit: by "plans" I meant monthly fees, not other's "plans" to eventually add HomeKit compatibility. eufy did take a few extra months to get HSV, but I was only slightly impatient as we were waiting on their implementation during a world-wide pandemic. Okay, I was lying that I was patient! But it is now arriving.

I just bought the Arlo pro 3 3 pack with hub for $400 from Costco. Should I return and get this one? I already subscribe to the 2 TB iCloud plan.

Costco kept tempting me with their Arlo deals, but I wanted to use HSV and not Arlo's servers. So I went with the eufy cameras.

As we've waited for eufy's HSV firmware to come I've been able to store my home video on my HomeBase. I'm not yet on the latest firmware, but I have been seeing better implementation in Home.app through the last few weeks. Funny that on May 25 the "almost HSV" firmware changed settings on my front door camera that set off an alarm for the first person to arrive at the door- and I got to see the video of the person reacting to that alarm. When I originally set it up, all alarms were off and this was an alarming experience! Pun intended. Fortunately the fragile package carried to the door by our UPS person later that day was not the first encounter with it!

Last edited:

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I can’t recommend these. I bought a set for my grandparents and they added a third. The image quality was decent and they had a pretty good connection. Where they fall flat on their face is motion detection. At first I thought my grandpa had configured it improperly. Once social distancing guidelines were relaxed we traveled to see them and I tried out all the settings myself and couldn’t get it to work properly.

They live at the end of a long gravel driveway and we’re wanting to pick up vehicles that come down it because sometimes kids come down and spin their gravel everywhere in their drive circle and my grandpa is 80 so it’s hard for him to clean that up and fix it and I live far away. He wanted to get their license plates on camera. Well on a lot of settings it wouldn’t even pick up cars. By the time it did it would pick up lots of tree shadow movement on the ground. It wouldn’t really pick up people very well unless it was on people only mode and in that mode it doesn’t pick up any cars. Even after turning down the motion settings really low for the other cameras they would just send motion alerts all day long and quickly burn through the batteries, which were hard for him to get on a ladder and charge every few weeks for three cameras. Obviously that also makes the alerts feature useless and annoyed the crap out of them. So they sent everything back to Amazon.

I’ve been looking at reviews for other cameras and it doesn’t seem like any of them do as good a job as Ring. I have two Ring cameras and especially in the past year the software has gotten way better. As much as I hate Ring for lying about HomeKit support and for creepy Amazon owning them now (they didn’t when I first bought them), they are good cameras and their motion zones are more robust and better at not triggering for shadows and such. I’m seriously considering buying them a couple stick up cams. They already have the Ring Doorbell so why not?

To be fair to the product, it’s not a traffic camera, and many people specifically do not want their camera to be triggered by passing vehicles outside their property.

gplusplus

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2018
Still no PoE cameras for Apple Secure Video. So I guess I’m still giving my money to someone else!

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Even after turning down the motion settings really low for the other cameras they would just send motion alerts all day long and quickly burn through the batteries, which were hard for him to get on a ladder and charge every few weeks for three cameras. Obviously that also makes the alerts feature useless and annoyed the crap out of them. So they sent everything back to Amazon.

Install the camera that needs to capture the car footage close to an outdoor light.

Place this in the light socket.

Then route a usb cable to the eufy camera and hide the cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.