Home HomeKit Security Camera - anyone waiting?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by swindmill, Jan 7, 2016.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I have been holding off on a upgrading a cheap Foscam setup for some time now, hoping that a HomeKit enabled camera would come along. I recently upgraded to the newest Time Capsule, and I am not going to bother setting up the Foscams again. So, I'm in need of a security camera and not sure if I should keep waiting for a HomeKit compatible camera to hit the market. The major players seem to be Canary, Withings, LogiCircle, and Nest. From that list, I'm leaning towards Canary.

Is anyone aware of any news on HomeKit cameras?

2. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

From what I learned earlier today it appears Homekit does not support video cameras at all at this time, so there won't be any until that changes.

That said the article I was reading hinted that the First Alert camera will be Homekit compatible once Apple adds cameras. As we have seen in the past it isn't advisable to count on something that comes out without homekit support to be able to add it later on, so buyer beware.

3. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Do you have any particular use in mind for a camera on homekit? I currently use Nest Dropcam Pro and love it, can easily set zones, alerts are spot on and the quality is excellent. Just not sure what I would ever need Siri for with it.

4. swindmill, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016

swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I'm not entirely sure how HomeKit will work with or benefit a security camera, but I'm thinking of modes like home and away syncing up with other devices. It's not entirely necessary, since cameras like Canary and Nest can do this on their own, it's just a matter of everything working together. Also, the prospect of only needing one app is nice, if HomeKit software ever matures to that point. Looking at the article about First Alert mentioned above, it looks like if HomeKit ever supports cameras, it will be too far in the future to wait for at this point. I'll probably go ahead and get a Canary for now.

5. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I'd like to add my security cameras to my "Hey Siri, Goodnight" recipe. I have a crude setup with IFTTT that sort of does this. I'd like to have it all come under one system.

6. Hilda590 macrumors newbie

I don't have much idea on its working. We have dome camera in our home. My grandfather had paralysis, so we had installed an Automatic door opener earlier. But then we thought that it is not safe and we replaced the door with strong deadbolt by Locksmith service after few burglary incidents near our locality. Then we thought a security camera visible to everyone will give us more security as no one will dare to enter a home with security camera. Our dome camera is doing a great job here. In the list you've mentioned, Canary seems to be a good one.

7. SouthernTeuchter macrumors newbie

SouthernTeuchter

You might be interested in this video:

It's a Homebridge project so not necessarily for the faint-hearted. But the fact that Homekit seems to work with it suggests to me that commercial Homekit IP cameras will come soon.

8. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

9. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Well the Withings Home Plus was just announced today as a homekit compatible camera...and I'll probably pick one up when it goes on sale. I'd already been watching for the Canary Plus to be released but it's been delayed a while already, so at this point I'll probably just get whatever comes out first.

I'm assuming that the video feed would be embedded right within the Home app, but I haven't heard for sure either way - does anyone know?

10. condor macrumors member

11. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Honeywell just announced a HomeKit camera today as well. So once these all start shipping, we'll have our choice between the Canary Plus, the Withings Home Plus, the DLink, and the Honeywell. I like that. I'm digging the fact that I can try more than one and still keep all my camera feeds together in one app. It'll be nice one all the reviews for these start coming out.

12. RichardF macrumors 6502a

RichardF

Yep, waiting for more models to join the existing ones.

The Logi Circle looks good but is missing HomeKit still.

Why hasn't someone like SONY, LG or Belkin done this right already? So odd. This market is up for grabs and the players are all still struggling to figure out their offering with a small, stealth non glossy black, well designed and reliable camera with a built-in microSD slot for redundancy and free cloud storage for say 3 days with video available for download and streaming (1 sec delay max) from an app or a browser.