Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I have been holding off on a upgrading a cheap Foscam setup for some time now, hoping that a HomeKit enabled camera would come along. I recently upgraded to the newest Time Capsule, and I am not going to bother setting up the Foscams again. So, I'm in need of a security camera and not sure if I should keep waiting for a HomeKit compatible camera to hit the market. The major players seem to be Canary, Withings, LogiCircle, and Nest. From that list, I'm leaning towards Canary.

Is anyone aware of any news on HomeKit cameras?

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
From what I learned earlier today it appears Homekit does not support video cameras at all at this time, so there won't be any until that changes.

That said the article I was reading hinted that the First Alert camera will be Homekit compatible once Apple adds cameras. As we have seen in the past it isn't advisable to count on something that comes out without homekit support to be able to add it later on, so buyer beware.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Do you have any particular use in mind for a camera on homekit? I currently use Nest Dropcam Pro and love it, can easily set zones, alerts are spot on and the quality is excellent. Just not sure what I would ever need Siri for with it.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I'm not entirely sure how HomeKit will work with or benefit a security camera, but I'm thinking of modes like home and away syncing up with other devices. It's not entirely necessary, since cameras like Canary and Nest can do this on their own, it's just a matter of everything working together. Also, the prospect of only needing one app is nice, if HomeKit software ever matures to that point. Looking at the article about First Alert mentioned above, it looks like if HomeKit ever supports cameras, it will be too far in the future to wait for at this point. I'll probably go ahead and get a Canary for now.

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'd like to add my security cameras to my "Hey Siri, Goodnight" recipe. I have a crude setup with IFTTT that sort of does this. I'd like to have it all come under one system.

SouthernTeuchter

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
You might be interested in this video:

It's a Homebridge project so not necessarily for the faint-hearted. But the fact that Homekit seems to work with it suggests to me that commercial Homekit IP cameras will come soon.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Well the Withings Home Plus was just announced today as a homekit compatible camera...and I'll probably pick one up when it goes on sale. I'd already been watching for the Canary Plus to be released but it's been delayed a while already, so at this point I'll probably just get whatever comes out first.

I'm assuming that the video feed would be embedded right within the Home app, but I haven't heard for sure either way - does anyone know?

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Honeywell just announced a HomeKit camera today as well. So once these all start shipping, we'll have our choice between the Canary Plus, the Withings Home Plus, the DLink, and the Honeywell. I like that. I'm digging the fact that I can try more than one and still keep all my camera feeds together in one app. It'll be nice one all the reviews for these start coming out.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
Yep, waiting for more models to join the existing ones.

The Logi Circle looks good but is missing HomeKit still.

Why hasn't someone like SONY, LG or Belkin done this right already? So odd. This market is up for grabs and the players are all still struggling to figure out their offering with a small, stealth non glossy black, well designed and reliable camera with a built-in microSD slot for redundancy and free cloud storage for say 3 days with video available for download and streaming (1 sec delay max) from an app or a browser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.