HomeKit HomeKit sending notifications even with remote access turned off

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by tman1425, Dec 5, 2018.

1. tman1425 macrumors member

I'm using HomeKit sharing in order to share access with my girlfriend. I turned off "Allow Remote Access" so she isn't constantly getting notifications for locks and doors while she is away at work. However, HomeKit keeps sending her notifications even with this setting turned off and she is miles away from home.

Does anyone know what's going on? Thanks for any help you can provide!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

notifications will get sent regardless, she can't control anything though.

enable remote access for her, and have her turn off (or adjust as wanted) notifications.
    you can then disable remote access.

or if she's at your place, she can make the setting changes without you having to enable remote.

--
    to disable, select the "home" screen on the bottom left of the app
    press the home icon on the top left
    then "home settings"
    all the notification devices are grouped on that screen,
    or you can turn them off from the individual device settings

if she doesn't want to turn them off, just remove her from the house,
    and next time you see her, re-add her to the house and then you can turn them off.
    ---
    it's kinda annoying
    ive had to do this with a friend, and it worked.

3. tman1425 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply! The description under Allow Remote Access says, " Allow this person to control accessories, see when they are being used, and receive notifications while not at home." Doesn't it sound like turning this option off will disable notifications while they're not at home? That is the way I read it, but maybe I'm wrong. What does that mean if it's not what I thought?