Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lee Cooper

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
I got some HomeKit enabled temperature-humidity sensors and tried to do a simple automation to receive a notification on my iPhone when temperature gets bellow 18C. This in Home app and using AppleTV as hub.
What can be more simple!!

All available sensors have them own app, most of them advertising features like notifications, graphics etc....., but you need to open an account, send your info to some cloud storage and sometimes to buy a non-Apple hub.

Is it possible in HomeKit to make such a simple automation?

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I got some HomeKit enabled temperature-humidity sensors and tried to do a simple automation to receive a notification on my iPhone when temperature gets bellow 18C. This in Home app and using AppleTV as hub.
What can be more simple!!

All available sensors have them own app, most of them advertising features like notifications, graphics etc....., but you need to open an account, send your info to some cloud storage and sometimes to buy a non-Apple hub.

Is it possible in HomeKit to make such a simple automation?

You should be able to bypass the proprietary apps if these sensors are truly made for HomeKit. See if there is a QR code on the devices and then set up directly from the Home app (hit the “+” sign and the C “Add accessory “).

If there is no HomeKit code, blame the manufacturer and not Apple.

Lee Cooper

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
Got two Qingping Temperature & Humidity devices, the HomeKit version. They have a QR code, no problem to add them to HomeKit and they show up in the Home app.

Next I am trying to make an automation using the Event "A Sensor Detects Something":
-select the sensor,
-than the option: temperature drops bellow 18
-and option: at any time

.....and than ...there is no next step except to convert to Shortcut...dead end.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
So you’re just wanting to receive a notification? HomeKit doesn’t do that with temperature and humidity’s but there’s a 3rd party app called Pushcut that can accomplish that.

If you scroll to the bottom you don’t see an option to convert to shortcut?

Lee Cooper

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
I really want to use Apple Home app not other third party apps.
The company which makes this sensor has also an app that can do notifications and more things.

Yes it is possible to make it a Shortcut. I remember finding on Eve sensor website a tutorial using the Shortcut option, to go around HomeKit limitations, but it did not work for sending a notification.

My experience with shortcuts is that you need to trigger them manually as opposed to "Automation".

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I agree. Think notifications for any sensor should be available from HomeKit but unfortunately they’re limited to exclude temperature and humidity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.