Homekit (Siri) and Google Home (Assistant) Controlling the same devices?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by TRICKorDEVICE, Dec 31, 2017.

1. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

I have Homekit set up with many devices and it works great. Due to Apple's delay, we now have several Google Homes in multiple rooms of the house (they work great BTW). All of my Homekit devices are also Google Home (Assistant) compatible. I figured I might as well have the devices hooked up to the Google Homes so I or other members of the house can turn on lights, adjust the thermostat, etc.

Does anyone have devices set to work with Siri (Homekit) and Google Assistant or Alexa? I am worried I will create some sort of a conflict or mess something up, I don't want to mess up the Homekit/Siri, because that is working great.

What is your experience? Will this work alright?

2. KrisLord macrumors 65816

I’ve HomeKit lights and thermostats (Philips hue and Honeywell lyric) and both are compatible with Alexa.

They work fine together. I’ve set a few groups in Alexa that aren’t in HomeKit as I found Alexa understood the language a bit better if they were part of the Alexa groups rather than imported HomeKit groups, but other than that Alexa is used for 90% of our interactions.

3. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input!

I love hearing about other users experiences, as it helps me plan out our system.

4. vindictum, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018

vindictum macrumors member

vindictum

I have Lifx lights and Tado thermostat that I control from my iPhone. I got Google home for Christmas (also love it, the Assistant is much better than Siri), and so far I haven't had any issues with it or Homekit.

5. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

All my smart home gear is compatible with both HomeKit and Alexa. I have them both set up and there's been no conflicts.

Patiently waiting for Apple's solution so I can replace my Amazon Echos.

6. 0000757 macrumors 68040

We have a few things that are both Alexa and HomeKit compatible, and there's not been a single issue using both.

7. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

Siri/HomeKit and Google Assistant have completely separate access to smart home products. I've got both in my house and have never encountered any kind of conflict. Siri is setup through the Home app, google is setup through the assistant/google home app. Siri and assistant have absolutely no interaction with each other, for better or for worse.

9. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very nice. Thank you.