Home HomeKit Sunrise/Sunset automations not running consistently

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by xraydoc, Sep 26, 2016.

1. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I have a pair of automations configured in iOS 10's Home app. One turns on some lights at sunset, the other turns them off at sunrise.

Most days they run correctly. Some days one or the other will fail to execute. Doesn't matter if I'm home or away.

I have two Apple TV 4's running tvOS 10 - both are correctly configured and allow me to access my HomeKit devices out of the house, so I know they're working (and are properly recognized in the Home app).

Another program that turns on my bedroom lights daily at 6:20am (to wake me up for work) works perfectly each day.

Any thoughts?

2. 3587 macrumors 6502a

Same issue. No fix that I've found, you? Trigging Airplane Mode on/off will allow you to reconnect.

3. xraydoc thread starter macrumors 604

xraydoc

No. Still have times where an automation will fail to trigger. I'm no longer relying on HomeKit for automations I want to run reliably.

Light timers configured through either the Hue app or through the Lutron app (for Hue devices or Lutron devices, respectively) always run properly.

4. 3587 macrumors 6502a

Same here... They fail all the time. I have to reset it using Airplane mode, but it doesn't last long.

5. Greenstein macrumors member

I've been having this issue as well, but only with my Hue lights. I never have issues remotely connecting/accessing the Schlage Sense I have (or running Sense automations) but remotely connecting/accessing the Hue lights almost never works, neither do the automations.

However, the automations through the Hue app work flawlessly, as does accessing the Hue lights remotely through the "out of the home connection" option in the Hue app.

I have 4 Apple TVs and I'm not sure if that's the issue or not, but given all my other experiences, I feel like it has to be Apple TV related. All are correctly connected to HomeKit and show up in the Home app. I've tried hard resetting my iPhone, unplugging the Apple TVs and I've yet to find something that truly fixes it permanently.

No way that having too many Apple TVs would be the issue, right?

6. xraydoc thread starter macrumors 604

xraydoc

I read somewhere - though don't recall where nor do I know that it's valid - that remote access supposedly works better with only one AppleTV signed in to HomeKit. With that said, I have three 4th Gen AppleTVs and I know for sure two are logged in to HomeKit. Have to double check the third, but my remote access works, though as noted I have issues with automations and occasionally have certain lights that show up as unresponsive (as per the Home app) despite being perfectly reachable via the Hue app.

7. 3587 macrumors 6502a

I only have the one AppleTV... I'm constantly losing connection to my devices.