Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndxhound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
I have poked around the forum looking for a previous answer. I apologize in advance if I missed a relevant post...

Running HomeKit on many devices with Apple TV as a hub. Need to setup a switch by the bedroom door that controls an iDevices plug on the other side of the room. I have an existing wall switch near the door that doesn't do anything so all I need is a switch that will trigger a scene to turn on/off the iDevices plug. May add an automation to turn on the light at sun down.

My other HomeKit switches are Leviton and directly control a light (front porch light) with an associated automation that turns on the front walkway light (on an iDevices plug). Automation also turns both on at sunset and off at 10pm. I guess I could use the same scheme in the bedroom and not wire a load on the Levion switch.

Any ideas for a simpler/cheaper solution?

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
What you need is a button or switch that supports HomeKit, but does not get wired to control power (e.g. power to the light bulbs).

Eve Button
Fibaro “The Button”
Logitech POP (HomeKit-enabled version)

These are the usual examples.

If you are to vest yourself in the Philips Hue series and thus have a 2nd generation or newer Hue Bridge, I recommend the Hue Dimmer Switch, which can be used for the same purpose. You see, this switch is much cheaper than the products mentioned above. Plus, it has four programmable buttons, all of which can trigger separate HomeKit scenes.

ndxhound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Thanks to recd and wesley96 for their suggestions. My wife will roll her eyes at a button solution. I looked at the wiring behind the location I have in mind and there is no neutral so a wired switch won't work. Any suggestion for a non-wired HomeKit switch will be appreciated.

JHermz

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2015
Thanks to recd and wesley96 for their suggestions. My wife will roll her eyes at a button solution. I looked at the wiring behind the location I have in mind and there is no neutral so a wired switch won't work. Any suggestion for a non-wired HomeKit switch will be appreciated.
Actually, iDevices has just such a product - the Instant Switch. Only works with other iDevices products, which seems to fit your needs. I wish there was something like this that worked with other brands. Better and cheaper option than the various buttons, IMO.

ndxhound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Actually, iDevices has just such a product - the Instant Switch. Only works with other iDevices products, which seems to fit your needs. I wish there was something like this that worked with other brands. Better and cheaper option than the various buttons, IMO.

Thanks for the suggestion. Ordered one. Anxious to see if it works.

ndxhound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Thanks for the suggestion. Ordered one. Anxious to see if it works.
Wanted to follow up on this thread. Installed the iDevices Instant Switch. Works just as advertised. Small lag between actuation and response but, who cares.

I was impressed with the engineering being the switch. It is thin enough to fit under a switch cover so it can be stuck flush to the wall. Overall, great product. The one "odd" thing worth noting is that it is not directly visible in the Home or iDevices app. To see the switch you have to drill into the plug it is paired with. No big deal since you can't actually do anything with the switch in a scene or automation. Just not initially obvious when looking for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.