Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Anyone here use a HomeKit-enabled thermostat for in-floor heating? My bathroom has radiant floor heating and it's controlled by a True Comfort programmable thermostat which is a pain to program and use. HomeKit features would be ideal, especially for automations.

Since it's a 120/240V thermostat, I thought the Mysa Smart Thermostat would work, but unfortunately they don't support in-floor heating.

Any suggestions?

Megadan

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2018
Anyone here use a HomeKit-enabled thermostat for in-floor heating? My bathroom has radiant floor heating and it's controlled by a True Comfort programmable thermostat which is a pain to program and use. HomeKit features would be ideal, especially for automations.

Since it's a 120/240V thermostat, I thought the Mysa Smart Thermostat would work, but unfortunately they don't support in-floor heating.

Any suggestions?

I`m looking for the exact same thing, did you find a product for that ?

Thanks!

Gasboy

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2019
Has someone identified a Homekit thermostat that is compatable with radiant floor heat?

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
Has someone identified a Homekit thermostat that is compatable with radiant floor heat?

Subscribe. We are building a home with radiant heat/cooling next year. What is it that something like the Ecobee can’t handle?

scmill

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2018
Spartanburg SC
Smartthings here and not HomeKit, but I just let the floor's thermostat control the heat and use a GE switch to control when it comes on and off.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Any suggestions?

A thermostat is just a switch that is controlled by temperature. Being its 120-230v you could wire it to turn on a TV if you wanted too.

The function that would make a 120-230v thermostat incompatible with a 120-230v heating source would be what is typically called 'heat anticipation' generally controlled by the thermostats CPH (cycles per hour) setting. This is the basic logic for the thermostat to turn the heat off prior to reaching its set point. It's anticipating that the heat source needs time to cool off and it will continue heating during this time. Much like the brakes on a car, the faster you are going the sooner you need to start slowing down when coming to a stop, if you don't you will overshoot your target.

Unfortunately electric baseboard is nearly the polar opposite of in-floor radiant. Electric baseboard is heating nearly entirely with convection and since its electric (low mass) it heats and cools quickly. Conversely in-floor radiant is heating mostly with radiation, since its the floor there is a lot of mass so it takes a while to heat and it takes a while to cool.

Professional lines of thermostats have a very wide range you can set this too so the same thermostat can control a heat pump, gas furnace, in-floor, cast iron radiators, convectors, etc etc. However they are typically 24v thermostats, not 120-230v.

I checked Mysa webpage to see if there was setting for adjusting this. And the fact that they are going to introduce a thermostat specifically for in-floor leads me to believe there isn't....

https://try.getmysa.com/infloor

If the wiring is accessible what I've done on a couple occasions (I work in building controls btw) is use a 24v thermostat that is designed for the application (in-floor radiant), a 24v relay and 24v step down transformer (those are overkill because I don't know your setup). Wire the transformers high side (120/230v) to a power source (any) than wire the low side (24v) to the R and C on the thermostat. Wire the coil side of the relay to W and C on the thermostat and wire the normal open set of contacts on the relay to complete the circuit for the in-floor (what the current thermostat is doing now). This just adds a 24v power with relay heavy duty enough to support the current draw of the in-floor radiant.

If that sounds like a PITA its because it is, but it works. In the past I would use a thermostat/control that works best for the equipment its controlling. However now the end user wants a specific feature set (wifi, Alexa, HomeKit, a color LCD, etc etc) which sometimes doesn't exist....or a single company makes it but its a garbage product.

UKenGB

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Surrey, UK
As stated above, the thermostat is just the switch. You then need some sort of control, valve or whatever to actually turn the heating in that 'zone' on and off. A Tado Smart Thermostat has contacts that could be used to control such a valve (if hot water heating) or if it's electric, a relay to switch the heating power on and off.

scmill

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2018
Spartanburg SC
As stated above, the thermostat is just the switch. You then need some sort of control, valve or whatever to actually turn the heating in that 'zone' on and off.

Just stick a Homekit compatible switch on the wall and connect it to the on/off for the thermostat. As I said upthread, I'm running SmartThings, but that's what I did. It works great!

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
Hi, I have been using the Mysa in-floor thermostat. Great design, works well.

The website still shows preorder January 2020 estimated ship date, when did you order it and when did you receive it

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
Anyone was successful installing it in Europe? I can't make it work and support told me that they are only supporting North America so can't help. Somehow every time I connect Mysa its blowing the fuse. And I truly don't understand why

vincmo

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Anyone was successful installing it in Europe? I can't make it work and support told me that they are only supporting North America so can't help. Somehow every time I connect Mysa its blowing the fuse. And I truly don't understand why
Electricity: You are running 230V 50hz. We are running 120V 60hz or 240V 60hz (2 phase). That might be the reason.

Reactions: Itinj24

Phil_chalet

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2021

Looks like it’s available now
It is not good for water-based in-floor heating systems (hydronic system). Anyone knows a thermostat HomeKit friendly that works for a hydronic floor heating system ?

cucafcp

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2019
Portugal
Guys, I am having the same question as I am installing hydronic floor heating. Anyone with a HomeKit thermostat or installation for this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.