Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Can anybody advise if you can power on/off a HomeKit enabled Smart TV (Vizio for example) while away from Home or do you have to be on the same WiFi network to control it like an Apple TV or HomePod. Find it annoying you can’t sleep an ATV remotely considering it’s a Home Hub lol. Thanks.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if you have a homekit hub that allows remote control of your devices.

then yes you can also control the TV remotely like your lights or other accessories.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
if you have a homekit hub that allows remote control of your devices.

then yes you can also control the TV remotely like your lights or other accessories.
Good to know, thanks. Wife always leaves the TV on and I work overnight. Can’t sleep the ATV remotely tho.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If you have HomeKit TV and a hub (Apple TV, HomePod), then yes, you can power on/off TV remotely, as well as check its status or create an automation rule to turn it off/on.

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
Good to know, thanks. Wife always leaves the TV on and I work overnight. Can’t sleep the ATV remotely tho.
most TV’s have a sleep function to turn them off after a couple of hours of inactivity. Or you can have them turn off at a specific time.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
If you have HomeKit TV and a hub (Apple TV, HomePod), then yes, you can power on/off TV remotely, as well as check its status or create an automation rule to turn it off/on.
Perfect, thanks for the confirmation.
[automerge]1580513718[/automerge]
most TV’s have a sleep function to turn them off after a couple of hours of inactivity. Or you can have them turn off at a specific time.
Yes, thanks... I understand that but I’m looking more for smarter control and automations. Another example would be turning it on for a few hours if away and then shutting it off remotely to give the appearance that someone is home. Smart home building (more specifically, HomeKit) is my new hobby and adding accessories is becoming addicting lol. Need TVs added to the mix too and I don’t see an end in sight. I’ve been at this for a couple years now and the addition of TVs as a HomeKit accessory is fairly new.

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

Which TV were you successful in powering on/off via HomeKit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.