Homemade Stands

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by divinemercy, Jul 27, 2008.

1. divinemercy macrumors regular

Hey everyone!

Looking around online i saw that stands for the macbook can range anywhere from 20 bucks to 80!!! I thought that was silly... so i thought id make my own! Turned out great, matching the white simplicity of my beloved mac :) About 4 bucks, 20 min.

Check out the results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to make the ipod stand angled, and add caps to the front parts that stick up on the macbook stand tomorrow when i can run by the store. The height is adjustable, which is awesome.

Also, there are non-slip dots on the bottom of the stands, as well as where the macbook touches the stand so that it is REALLY secure. I can shake my little desk around and it doesnt even jiggle lol.

I was wondering if anyone else has made their own stands? Post your pics so we can admire!

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

3. divinemercy thread starter macrumors regular

Scratches? um... With the non-slip buttons on the bottom it definitely doesn't scratch the desk if that's what you mean...

And there is nothing to scratch the macbook either. the pvc pipes are nice and clean, and there are non-slip buttons on the top too where the laptop touches it.

As a side note, most pvc pipe comes with writing on the side. This came off very easily with a Mr. Clean magic eraser, and a high grade sandpaper.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Credit for being resourceful, but wow. Seems a little homegrown. Not to insult you, but that is not something that I would want on my desk. To each their own.

Granted thats why you made it and why I didn't.

Plus one for resourcefulness and recycling.

6. 204467 macrumors 6502a

That looks really nice for being made out of PVC! Nice job!

7. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Good stuff, I made my stand to match my computer as well. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Er excuse the mess! It's not very organized right now. Also note the lacie HD tucked under in storage as well as an Apple remote.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Hmm... Looks like that one is too small. I'd be worried the laptop is going to fall off. :(
    Back to the Drawing Board! :eek: :p :p

9. tgildred macrumors 6502

The option and command modifications are genius. I will be doing the same tomorrow. It'll go well with my Mac OSX desktop and PowerMac cardboard cutout.

:D

10. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Haha I used a sandwich of scotch tape for the sharpie markings to draw in the Apple logo..

11. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Does this count? I made it for like $20 out of shelves.

Attached Files:

12. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

innovative.... is the iphone stand nessescary?

13. Emulsion macrumors 6502

I'm workng on one too. Hold on let me post the link. Oh wait I'm on my touch and can't copy and paste..

It's in the picture board.

I love that stand. I work with PVC all the time and appreiciate it's Beauty.

14. divinemercy thread starter macrumors regular

Im glad you like it ^^

Is the ipod stand really needed? No... But i want something to make it match my comp now... Im kinda OCD about that.

And actually i want it to eventually be more of a "dock" than just a stand, with a cutout for the charging cord, and have it angled so it is nice and easy to see and manipulate which charging....

I think it looks nice too. Like unique and i dont think it looks homeade... Plus im learning mac programming, and i think that it kinda encapsulates that "macbook white simplicity" along with that "built/constructed" feeling of programming... hope that makes sense ^^

15. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

it may not have a great purpose, but it looks cool!

16. Wolfgang macrumors member

Wow, very nice job. Really looks quite beautiful as well as doing a great job of hiding all the cords and providing storage. Are those external HDs under there? If they are, what kind are they? They've got an interesting look.

17. divinemercy thread starter macrumors regular

18. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

yea! i love the remote dock, as well as all your other projects on your site

19. AC Rempt macrumors 6502

AC Rempt

That rocks. I'm going to steal it, I think ;)

I love your other projects, too. They look very classy and clean.

20. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

Looks really cool and I'm considering making one for myself but I'm gonna spray paint it black though so it matches my MBP better. Its gonna take me a few days to get some free time but I'll have to post pics when I do it. Thanks a lot for the ideas.

21. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Cool, thanks.
    K

22. krye macrumors 68000

krye

The white and silver hard drive enclosure is from Galaxy Metal Gear.

23. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Cool, got to love do it yourself projects. I'm not going to spend 30 minutes trying to find the post, but in the past, there was a user here from Germany who made his own laptop stands that looked amazingly professional (I believe it was titanium). I think that he posted them in the Post Your Mac Setup: Past and Present (Part 2) thread, give it a look, they were amazing.