Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pooksie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
I have a MacBook Pro right now that's covered under homeowners insurance. is it worth buying AppleCare?

what are some perks of AppleCare that I don't get with just the homeowners insurance. I've never had a laptop under insurance before, but I think if it ever breaks I get a full refund for the original amount. (this may not be ethical but does anybody know if I can intentionally break my laptop and get reimbursed through my insurance?)

I'm leaning toward not getting applecare, but i would love some input!

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Applecare is completely different from insurance. It covers the machine breaking down. Your home insurance covers accidental damage. If you attempt to accidentally damage your computer when it breaks down and then fraudulently claim from your homeowner's insurance you risk not only being turned down but not being able to gain any form of insurance again in the future, which will also prevent you from getting a mortgage or buying a car with finance.

pooksie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
Applecare is completely different from insurance. It covers the machine breaking down. Your home insurance covers accidental damage. If you attempt to accidentally damage your computer when it breaks down and then fraudulently claim from your homeowner's insurance you risk not only being turned down but not being able to gain any form of insurance again in the future, which will also prevent you from getting a mortgage or buying a car with finance.

thanks for the warning on the fraud, ill avoid it

what I'm more asking is if AppleCare is worth getting if I already have homeowners insurance

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
thanks for the warning on the fraud, ill avoid it

what I'm more asking is if AppleCare is worth getting if I already have homeowners insurance

Two completely different things.

AppleCare - protection for Hardware faults
Insurance - incase you have an accident and drop it or gets stolen

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
homeowners insurance is likely to have a deductible and won't cover a malfunctioning Mac..it would only cover loss from theft and physical damage.

Depends on the coverage/policy. I have "inland marine" insurance, $0 deductible and basically covers everything except for manufacturer defect. The cost? $30/yr (For the laptop, I have other items with this insurance as well).

I have AppleCare to cover defects and "inland marine" to cover everything else.

Inland marine is great for portable goodies. I have 7 items covered under this policy and when I had it added I sent pictures to my agent showing everything in working order and had to include the serial numbers for everything as well.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
as all said insurance would not cover any defects or hardware failures. The apple care will for 3 years from purchase.
Similarly apple care would not cover any damages or theft.
Having both of them would be the best kind of protection for your macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.