Homeowners insurance vs AppleCare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pooksie, Jul 29, 2013.

1. pooksie macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro right now that's covered under homeowners insurance. is it worth buying AppleCare?

what are some perks of AppleCare that I don't get with just the homeowners insurance. I've never had a laptop under insurance before, but I think if it ever breaks I get a full refund for the original amount. (this may not be ethical but does anybody know if I can intentionally break my laptop and get reimbursed through my insurance?)

I'm leaning toward not getting applecare, but i would love some input!

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Applecare is completely different from insurance. It covers the machine breaking down. Your home insurance covers accidental damage. If you attempt to accidentally damage your computer when it breaks down and then fraudulently claim from your homeowner's insurance you risk not only being turned down but not being able to gain any form of insurance again in the future, which will also prevent you from getting a mortgage or buying a car with finance.

3. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

AppleCare really depends where you live and what consumer laws you have protecting you regarding a hardware fault.

4. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

that's called insurance fraud and you will go to jail for doing that

5. pooksie thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the warning on the fraud, ill avoid it

what I'm more asking is if AppleCare is worth getting if I already have homeowners insurance

6. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

Two completely different things.

AppleCare - protection for Hardware faults
    Insurance - incase you have an accident and drop it or gets stolen

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

homeowners insurance is likely to have a deductible and won't cover a malfunctioning Mac..it would only cover loss from theft and physical damage.

8. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Depends on the coverage/policy. I have "inland marine" insurance, $0 deductible and basically covers everything except for manufacturer defect. The cost? $30/yr (For the laptop, I have other items with this insurance as well).

I have AppleCare to cover defects and "inland marine" to cover everything else.

Inland marine is great for portable goodies. I have 7 items covered under this policy and when I had it added I sent pictures to my agent showing everything in working order and had to include the serial numbers for everything as well.

9. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

as all said insurance would not cover any defects or hardware failures. The apple care will for 3 years from purchase.
    Similarly apple care would not cover any damages or theft.
    Having both of them would be the best kind of protection for your macbook.

10. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Don't get afraid. Let it fall in a natural way or drop on it some diet coke... :D