Homepage to be discontinued on July 7th

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by SamNeeds, Apr 9, 2009.

1. SamNeeds macrumors regular

Just received the following from MobileMe via email.

2. whynot83706 macrumors 6502

whynot83706

3. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I'm unclear here. Does this mean that no new pages created with HomePage will be allowed after July 7, or simply no new pages created after July 7 will be allowed. I guess I'm really unsure what HomePage is (it's something I've never used, obviously).

4. whynot83706 macrumors 6502

whynot83706

I guess pages created through iWeb? Right? Anyone......

5. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I hope this is correct. If this email means that I won't be able to create any new webpages to host on my .Mac account, this will take away one of the big reasons I renew my subscription year after year.

6. whynot83706 macrumors 6502

whynot83706

They way I read this is that you will not be able to use iWeb to create WebSite and host it with your .Mac account.:(

7. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

I got the same message. Since I don't use the .Mac Homepage, no problems here. Good luck to the others.
    Morod

8. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

posted in a similar thread - I got confused. :)

From what I have read and seen (I never used Homepage, but I have access to it since I signed up 2 days before the MM conversion), I think people are confusing Homepage with the regular web hosting provided by MM (web.mobileme.com/your-name).

Homepage appears to be pretty much a web version of iWeb - canned themes/pages that you can use to build a site from the web browser instead of using iWeb.

With web.mobileme.com you can use iWeb or any other html generator (including a plain text editor if you're old-school).

Your /web directory takes the place of /sites (in the root of your iDisk, I do NOT mean /web/sites that iWeb will create/use). You can use it to share files via http, just like any other web server (or you can use the new file sharing feature in iDisk that is independent of the /web directory).