Homeplugs/ethernet/wifi settings - please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wishiunderstood, Feb 18, 2011.

1. wishiunderstood macrumors newbie

I'm running a (used, recon) PowerMac iMac on Leopard 10.5.8. Foolishly I spent yet more money on an Airport Extreme card from the same dealer and fitted it, but although it's 'on' and can be seen in preferences, it can't find my normal D-Link wifi network, it's a router that is connected to Virgin cable broadband. All my non-work PCs can use the wifi no problems, and this work Mac CAN connect via ethernet - but that means I've got a 26ft cable running over doors and through gaps all over the house to connect. So either wireless or Homeplug system would do me.

I've bought Orange Homeplug system which is supposed to be plug-and-play. But when I unhook normal ethernet from back of Mac and put in ethernet from Homeplug system is says that message about having a pre-assigned IP address and can't connect. All I've done is put the new ethernet in, not changed anything else.

I'm desperate here - can't afford to lose my perfectly good ethernet connection, as I work from home, but desperate to get rid of wires no matter how.

No point I think in installing anything else airport-wise as I think all updates require intel not power based, do I have to get an airport base station (would rather not) and connect it to the existing router, risking knocking everything out, to talk to airport card, or is it something I can change in network preferences to make it talk to the Homeplug?

Please help - we're on the point of family breakdown here because can't have any more cables dropping on heads when going through doors etc or risk garrotting the dog....:eek:

Thanks. (PS talk to me like 6-year-old, my knowledge is pretty basic even though have used Macs for 15 years)

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

First see what your "Airport Card" is capable by holding down the "option" key while clicking on the top left apple symbol and you will see "System Profiler". Launch that in the "Network" drop-down select "Airport". This will show you what frequencies that Airport Card can receive.

Plus what is your wireless router transmitting at (a, b, g or n) with what security settings?

3. wishiunderstood thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for response.

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x4E)
    Wireless Card Locale: Unknown
    Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.25.8)
    Current Wireless Network: wireless network not available

This means nothing to me.

Wifi router g rating and WPA security - I did read Airport can only cope with WEP.

Does that mean anything please?