HomePod and Hey Siri

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by EvanEiga, Jan 25, 2018.

1. EvanEiga macrumors regular

With the preorder happening soon, I wonder how many HomePods are you guys getting? I am thinking one initially and then another one sometimes later, so I do get a home assistant and the newest gadget without actually investing in a lot right away (since I don't know how good it is yet but I do like surround sound)

Also, this might've been discussed before but how does Hey Siri work with HomePod? If I shout Hey Siri, wouldn't it trigger my iPhone as well and I would have multiple devices ringing?

Regardless, very excited about this - only thing is..... I don't know what to do with other speakers lol

2. Nikhil72 macrumors 65816

They already have the hey siri trigger worked out very nicely in my mind. If you have an iPad, apple watch, and iPhone all ready to hear the trigger, they each emit a silent signal such that the most proximal device will carry out the task while the others pretty much immediately turn off.

Interesting technical data here if you're interested:

https://machinelearning.apple.com/2017/10/01/hey-siri.html

3. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Yeah in settings there will be feature to turn off all other hey Siri

I’m getting one for my lounge and maybe get another one down the line for the bedroom maybe. One will likely be enough though

If I get another one for the bedroom would get the white to go with my room and table.

4. LordCoe13 macrumors regular

LordCoe13

While this makes sense, it also makes me wonder: If I have the HomePod on the entertainment center below my TV and I have my phone on the coffee table in front of me, the phone is technically closer. But in this case, I would prefer HomePod take my Siri request over my phone, so how would that work?

5. robgendreau macrumors 68040

If HomePod eventually works like Echoes or Google Homes, it will be smart enough to judge what's proximate to your voice. There will still occasionally be oopsies, but some spacing can sort it. If I recall correctly "hey Google" won't trigger an Android phone if it's home. I imagine an iPhone could do the same. And I'd imagine we'll get ways to distinguish, besides just switching Siri off on the phone or leaving it in the other room.

6. cynics macrumors G4

Apple Watch fails at this. I didn't read the article yet (thanks for the link as it looks interesting) but it likely has something to do with the battery. Its best just to keep in mind not to intentionally use Hey Siri on the watch (look at it so the face lights up) when you are in ear shot of iPhones and iPads.

iPhones and iPads excel at this though.

I took some videos if you want/need evidence of this but I need to upload them to youtube.

7. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

in bold above how does that even make any sense? Why would the voice prompt "hey google" not trigger an Android phone if it's at your home location? Like no person (kid/adults) wouldn't use that command in their room or living room or ??

More likely, to your suggestion I think iOS will know it's home via the WiFi account and detect teh HomePod on the same network and that HomePod would be engaged, unless you're on a different floor altogether.