Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that its HomePod mini and second-generation HomePod will go on sale in Malaysia, Thailand and Turkey from next week.

HomePod-2-and-Mini-feature-2.jpg

Apple is accepting pre-orders through its online stores in the three countries from today, with the speakers shipping and going on sale in Apple's regional retail stores on May 10.

The HomePod mini was initially released by Apple in October 2020 across the U.S. and a handful of other countries. Since launch, the speaker has not seen significant hardware revisions, though Apple did introduce new colors in November 2021 and activated the devices' temperature and humidity sensors via software updates last year. The introduction of the HomePod mini in two more countries makes the prospect of a second-generation model being released anytime soon pretty unlikely.

In 2021, Apple phased out the original full-size HomePod, but it launched a second-generation version in January. This new HomePod retains a design similar to its predecessor but includes an enlarged backlit touch interface and several other enhancements. Both the new HomePod and HomePod mini are Siri-based smart speakers, and come with Matter compatibility and support for stereo pairing.

Article Link: HomePod and HomePod Mini Launch in Malaysia, Thailand, and Turkey on May 10

Last edited:

Prom8theus

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2024

Apple today announced that its HomePod mini and second-generation HomePod will go on sale in Thailand and Malaysia from next week.

Apple is accepting pre-orders through its online stores in the two countries from today, with the speakers shipping and going on sale in Apple's regional retail stores on May 10.

The HomePod mini was initially released by Apple in October 2020 across the U.S. and a handful of other countries. Since launch, the speaker has not seen significant hardware revisions, though Apple did introduce new colors in November 2021 and activated the devices' temperature and humidity sensors via software updates earlier this year. The introduction of the HomePod mini in two more countries makes the prospect of a second-generation model being released anytime soon pretty unlikely.

In 2021, Apple phased out the original full-size HomePod, but it launched a second-generation version in January. This new HomePod retains a design similar to its predecessor but includes an enlarged backlit touch interface and several other enhancements. Both the new HomePod and HomePod mini are Siri-based smart speakers, and come with Matter compatibility and support for stereo pairing.

Article Link: HomePod and HomePod Mini Launch in Malaysia and Thailand on May 10
sound a desperation to sell garbage to 3rd world countries. they are smarter that you think.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
In 2021, Apple phased out the original full-size HomePod, but it launched a second-generation version in January. This new HomePod retains a design similar to its predecessor but includes an enlarged backlit touch interface and several other enhancements.
No mention of the various ways the second generation HomePod regressed due to cost cutting measures?

Kay_Ess

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2022
Does this make it unlikely there’ll be an update to HomePods anytime soon?
Or that there will be.
Now they can dump older products on markets where the spendable income for frivolous products is much lower so the prices there will also be much lower. Maybe not officially in their own stores but they can definitely lower the price to resellers, like they did for the iPad 2022 earlier this year.

People expect Apple to go full AI focused this year, including in their chips line up. Two big reasons to expect a more capable Siri. And a HomePod with a more capable Siri is a good reason for people to upgrade.

I suspect there is a big update in the pipeline.

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
Or that there will be.
Now they can dump older products on markets where the spendable income for frivolous products is much lower so the prices there will also be much lower. Maybe not officially in their own stores but they can definitely lower the price to resellers, like they did for the iPad 2022 earlier this year.

People expect Apple to go full AI focused this year, including in their chips line up. Two big reasons to expect a more capable Siri. And a HomePod with a more capable Siri is a good reason for people to upgrade.

I suspect there is a big update in the pipeline.
Lets hope so.

BigBellyBelcher

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2024
Tim Won't release an update till every last unit apple is contracted to receive from the vendor has been sold.

Pasha Rodionov

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2020
New England
I think it’s opposite about releasing new ones… they HomePod mini just got almost sold out in Best Buy… it went on sale on same day with iPads right when the announced May 7 event! I believe new HomePod mini is coming!

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Are these any better than Alexa yet… just basic functions, music, lights, weather, sleep sounds?

No. Alexa is far faster to respond to the exact same devices and queries. Siri acts like it's half asleep most of the time.

Alexa has gotten worse and intentionally more annoying. "By the way" makes me twitch. But Siri is just as frustrating because it's like talking to a drunk person. I start yelling at it out of frustration at its inability to understand what I'm saying and respond properly.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
I think it’s opposite about releasing new ones… they HomePod mini just got almost sold out in Best Buy… it went on sale on same day with iPads right when the announced May 7 event! I believe new HomePod mini is coming!
It will be totally revolutionized with a humidity sensor. :rolleyes:

Reactions: ric22

GnnLD

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2024

Apple today announced that its HomePod mini and second-generation HomePod will go on sale in Malaysia, Thailand and Turkey from next week.

Apple is accepting pre-orders through its online stores in the three countries from today, with the speakers shipping and going on sale in Apple's regional retail stores on May 10.

The HomePod mini was initially released by Apple in October 2020 across the U.S. and a handful of other countries. Since launch, the speaker has not seen significant hardware revisions, though Apple did introduce new colors in November 2021 and activated the devices' temperature and humidity sensors via software updates last year. The introduction of the HomePod mini in two more countries makes the prospect of a second-generation model being released anytime soon pretty unlikely.

Article Link: HomePod and HomePod Mini Launch in Malaysia, Thailand, and Turkey on May 10
I would like the EU to force Apple to include Bluetooth connection in the Homepod.

fonzy91

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
I would like the EU to force Apple to include Bluetooth connection in the Homepod.
lol the HomePod is very far from having any type of monopoly on home speakers, so there's nothing the EU can do.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Good to know. Wonder why it took such a long time for it to launch in these countries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.