HomePod HomePod and liquid damage

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Brad Smith, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Brad Smith macrumors regular

So I had a fun little incident today. A intoxicated woman mistaking my apartment for her ex’s apartment two doors down (both ground floor units) came by my place and poured a can of beer over my HomePod through the window while I was sitting on my couch. Despite attempts to quickly mop up the liquid, suffice to say it was unsuccessful. Any idea how the HomePod deals with liquid damage and any recommendations to deal with a HomePod that now smells like bad beer?

2. borgranta macrumors 6502

borgranta

Assuming the worst you may have to file a claim with your insurance citing a case of damage by vandalism. Your insurance company may require police report about the vandalism.

3. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Ugh. I bet that your renter's insurance/homeowners insurance has a deductible higher than the cost of a homepod, if you are hoping to get money that way (assuming there are no other damages from the incident.)

I don't own a homepod, so I am not sure if the cover can be removed for cleaning/deoderized. I think your best bet would be go to an apple store and tell them about the incident.

I go this price info from an iMore article. It is talking about US currency. I also looked up applecare+ in canada.

If you have applecare+, it is a $39 fee (US) or $49 (Canada)
    If you do not, it is $279 (US), not sure the charge in Canadian Dollars.

https://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/homepod.html

4. StumpyBloke macrumors 6502

StumpyBloke

Make the stupid tossers who did it sort it out (you know who they are) or report them for criminal damage. Why should you be responsible for fixing their vandalism?

5. Brad Smith thread starter macrumors regular

Thankfully I have a police case number and they stopped by. They were unable to do too much as the woman was gone by the time they showed up hours later (despite her wandering the area for an hour after — I kept seeing her and got a photo).

I’m hoping my renters insurance will cover it, though there’s a $500 CDN deductible. I also have to get my couch professionally cleaned, as it smells of beer.

Sadly the guy is basically saying that “she doesn’t live with me” and that it isn’t his problem. And while I know what she looks like, I don’t know who she is.

6. StumpyBloke macrumors 6502

StumpyBloke

Sad wankers some people. Hope you get it sorted

7. cobracnvt macrumors 6502

cobracnvt

Bummer. At least you still have the HomePod and someone didn't just reach in through your window and steal it. Hopefully the insurance deductible won't apply.

8. Lappen71 macrumors 6502

Lappen71