Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I am evaluating HomePod vs Sonos One and one thing that I cant figure out how to do on Homepod is to listen to online FM stations. On Sonos, I am able to do so via their app, but on Homepod I am not finding a similar option in Music App.

Does anyone have any idea how to do that on HomePod?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
You can also expose internet stations on Mac iTunes and then choose your Pods... doing it right now, so it does work.

But I don't think you can ask Siri to play online FM stations directly, and I haven't tried to expose online radio on iOS devices...

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
1. iTunes radio stations except Beats1 require Apple Music subscription ( I don't subscribe)
2. Internet radio websites from Mac will only play 1 Homepod, (I use 2 stereo Homepods)
3. I think most audio sources from iOS device (internet radio etc.) will play to stereo Homepods.
2. Only stereo Homepod audio from a Mac is iTunes library music. No other sources can do stereo from Mac to Homepod, ugh.

Last edited:

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Unfortunately, I would like a solution that will play radio throughout a day without relaying on airplay streaming because I do not want to tie such capabilities to a specific mobile device. Since I am not %100 sold on Apple Music (I am using 6 months trial via Verizon), I might actually stick with Sonos for time being.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Internet audio/radio sites will play from Mac to 1 Homepod. I don't even know if Homepod works with PC..

idrewuk

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
I am desperate for Apple to add native radio support to HomePod. It's the one thing holding me back from getting more of them at home and completely replacing Sonos.

I want to be able to select or say a radio station, play it independently of any other iOS device; I also want to be able to have it as an alarm (so, a particular radio station comes on at 7am for example) and, set a sleep/off timer — keep playing it for XX minutes and then it stops.

Surely this should be a given for an amazing audio device like this? At the minute have to rely on workarounds like the radio shorties app which isn't ideal. Anyone else?

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
After messing around with the HomePod, I decided to return it. It didnt do anything useful to me that i havent had covered by other devices, so it went back. Will wait for 2nd or 3rd gen to take a look again.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I will probably be returning mine too. It definitely sounds great, but Apple really needs to get on the ball and be able to stream SiriusXm, Radio Stations, Itunes Radio, etc.... straight from the Homepod, instead of Airplay. That is a huge advantage to Amazon Echo devices and definitely simplies everything.

Also - need more devices that use Homekit, like Logitech, Tp-Link, but that is really not Apple's fault, but those manufactures.

If it could do what I wrote in the first paragraph directly from Homepod then it would be a keeper. Too bad and too limited.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
I will probably be returning mine too. It definitely sounds great, but Apple really needs to get on the ball and be able to stream SiriusXm, Radio Stations, Itunes Radio, etc.... straight from the Homepod, instead of Airplay. That is a huge advantage to Amazon Echo devices and definitely simplies everything.

Also - need more devices that use Homekit, like Logitech, Tp-Link, but that is really not Apple's fault, but those manufactures.

If it could do what I wrote in the first paragraph directly from Homepod then it would be a keeper. Too bad and too limited.

Just tell Siri to play Classic Rock radio , or whatever station you find in iTunes.

You do however, have to AirPlay local stations.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Thanks - I use iTunes to play local stations, so sounds like it won't work for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.