HomePod HomePod and users

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Goner259er, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Goner259er Suspended

Will HomePod/Siri only recognize my voice or will other be able to use it as well?

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Others can use their voice though only one Apple ID can be associated with the device.

3. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Yup, as @boshii said anyone can control the HomePod at the moment.

Until Apple updates the HomePod with their voice imprint detection though, where it can recognise different voices as being different people. We’re limited to just a single user account

So if you’re in the house and connected to the network with your phone, anyone can have it read your messages and so on. You can of course disable this functionality in the settings if you wish.

4. Goner259er thread starter Suspended

I was hoping this was similar to Alexa but it’s just a fancy speaker unless I’m missing something

5. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

No you’re not missing anything. In its current state the HomePod is primarily an Apple Music player with some smart features baked in. Which is exactly what it’s marketed as.

In principle it’s a lot like the Echo, but there’s two big differences between them at the moment. The HomePod sounds ridiculously better than Echo (I’m comparing it to my Echo 2.)

The other difference is the Echo has a lot more “skills”. But then I should really hope it does, it has more than 3 years of a head start.

The HomePod development software hasn’t been in our hands for very long. It takes time to make worthwhile added features. I’ll pretty much guarantee we won’t see a fart feature or dozens and dozens of “here’s some facts about cats/dogs/mice/dragons” on the HomePod.

Just as with the Echo when it first launched the good quality, useful abilities take time to get right. And just as with the Echo it should be worth the wait. The wait really shouldn’t be too long before the first add-ons start trickling out.

But if the Echo is more up your street right now, go for it. In fact I’ll sell you a three week old second generation Echo if you want :D

6. Goner259er thread starter Suspended

Don’t tempt me. May take that offer lol