HomePod + Apple TV?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by LordQ, Oct 4, 2017.

1. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

I know we don't know much details about the HomePod yet, but do you guys think it will be possible to buy two of them and use them as external speakers for my TV with the help of Apple TV 4K? Thanks for any insight!

2. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

I know my ATV 4K allows me the option of using AirPlay for audio output through my AirPlay-capable receiver. Nobody will probably know for sure about what you're asking until AirPlay 2 finally launches. In any case, you can do a lot better than two HomePods for use as TV speakers for $700. I'd be worried about audio and video syncing up through AirPlay as well. Normally, the device AirPlaying is doing so to both the video and the audio, in what you're asking though, the video is being output through the HDMI, but audio is going over AirPlay, so each are taking a different path.

3. LordQ thread starter Suspended

LordQ

Great insight, thank you!

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

I doubt it. Homepod isn't really a substitute for a 3.1 system or a soundbar. By the time you buy two Homepods, you're spending more than an equivalent soundbar.

5. cynics macrumors G4

Like @AustinIllini said I also doubt it would be a good substitute for a QUALITY soundbar and certainly not at the 700 dollar price point (for two).

While the HomePod can isolate parts of the media, for example putting vocals front and center and beaming ambient sounds for a omnidirectional feel I'm not sure if it can just isolate channels of common movie and TV standards (Dolby DTS, etc) and if it can to what extent can it do that?

While I'm fairly confident 2 HomePods would sound great (at least according to some pre launch reviews) how well can that be compared to a dedicated system that supports things like Dolby Atmos? My guess would be not well.

6. whola macrumors newbie

Biggest problem is a volume bug when pairing with AppleTV. At 100% volume it is literally half of what you can get through airplay or apple music. It's not sufficient for movies and a pity that the true performance of HomePod isn't available through the AppleTV. Many are seeing this.