HomePod HomePod as a HomeKit bluetooth range extender

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by MonstaMash, Feb 17, 2018.

1. MonstaMash macrumors regular

MonstaMash

I have an Apple TV 4 as my Home Hub. I have a Schlage Sense lock that frequently says “No Response” as the bluetooth range of the lock can’t reach the location of the Apple TV.

If I add another Apple TV closer to the lock, the secondary Apple TV kind of acts like a repeater (Apple calls it Standby in the Home app), and this solves the problem. But I don’t need an Apple TV in that spot, and would rather have something I’d use, like a speaker.

Does the HomePod mirror this type of functionality? Can anyone here with a similar setup see if acts a Standby Home Hub in the Home app, thus extending the range of HomeKit accessories?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Does your lock use Bluetooth or WiFi to communicate. I thought these device use WiFi.

3. MonstaMash thread starter macrumors regular

MonstaMash

I think most HomeKit accessories use WiFi, especially those with hubs.

The Schlage Sense lock uses Bluetooth LE. It has to be within a limited range of an Apple TV in order to function unfortunately. That’s why I am hoping I can just place a HomePod closer to my door instead of an Apple TV.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I see. Bluetooth makes sense as it is great for short range use like walking up to your door and getting it to unlock. I think some do run on WiFi as you can activate the lock from anywhere in the world via the Internet.

5. cynics macrumors G4

The HomePod as a hub should act like an AppleTV as a hub.

However like any speaker its placement will effect its performance. You dont want to have it crammed in a nook.

6. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

Actually most HomeKit devices communicate over the Bluetooth LE protocol. Thats why the Apple TV acts as a range extender and not the Airports or other WiFi Router.

7. wesley96 macrumors 6502

wesley96

What's happening is that there can be more than one HomeKit hub. Bluetooth LE based HomeKit devices will try to connect to a hub closest to it. So they can be placed farther than just having one hub. The second hub is not acting as a Bluetooth range extender, per se, but that's just a technical difference. To my knowledge, HomePod can be used in this manner since it's sanctioned as a full-fledged HomeKit hub, just like an Apple TV.