Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Is anyone else having problems with their Homepod’s going silent about 20 seconds into a song? It happens on about 1 out of 10 songs I try to play recently (on all of my OG Homepods). When it happens, the Homepod just goes silent, but if you check the status in iOS, the Homepod is still playing the song. Just no volume is coming out. When the song finishes, the next song plays just fine with no intervention. And it is always almost exactly 20 seconds into the song. If I try to replay the song, it will play the first 20 seconds before going silent again.

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Yep happened on all mine until I disabled Lossless audio on them. Yet another basic function which Apple can’t get right!

Home App, home settings, people (you), Apple Music
Thank you for the suggestion! But unfortunately, I already have lossless turned off, and it still keeps happening for me.

The strange thing is that it is very consistent. There are certain songs that it will do it for every time. I can ask Siri to play the song and it will cut out after 20 seconds. I can start play from my iPad, and it will cut out. If I play from my iPad and then choose the homepod as the destination, it will cut out. If I play it on my iPad only, it will play the whole song.

And the strange thing … if I ask Siri to play the artist, and then skip songs until I get to the song that always cuts out, then it will play perfectly. EVERY TIME. But then I ask Siri to play the song directly, and again, only 20 seconds.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
I had one HomePod that would cut out music about the same time frame. I rebooted the modem and router and still the same. Then, I restarted the HomePods from the iPad and all was well. The only thing that puzzled me was that it updated the HomePods and I thought I already had updated them.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Sorry chaps I can’t suggest anything else apart from report it to Apple. Too many people with this problem and they still can’t resolve it!

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Thank you for the suggestion! But unfortunately, I already have lossless turned off, and it still keeps happening for me.

The strange thing is that it is very consistent. There are certain songs that it will do it for every time. I can ask Siri to play the song and it will cut out after 20 seconds. I can start play from my iPad, and it will cut out. If I play from my iPad and then choose the homepod as the destination, it will cut out. If I play it on my iPad only, it will play the whole song.

And the strange thing … if I ask Siri to play the artist, and then skip songs until I get to the song that always cuts out, then it will play perfectly. EVERY TIME. But then I ask Siri to play the song directly, and again, only 20 seconds.

If you want to mention the song here I will try it and see if I get the same problem…?

spaceman_spiff

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2019
California
Oh my god this is driving me absolutely insane and I'm glad other people are seeing it as well.

I have a scene I set for my toddlers room at night to turn off the lights and loop some ocean wave white noise, and it cuts off at around the 20-second time. It rarely works when I try to activate the scene via Siri, but it seems to work most of the time if I activate it via the Home app.

salutcemoi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2021
This sucks

I don't own any but was thinking about pocking up a paor of Minis to pair them with my Apple TV

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Just had it happen on mine on a random song it was playing, tried to reproduce on the same song and no dice.

Clearly just yet another abortion of a service by Apple. They can’t even get the basics right. They are pathetic.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
Do you guys have any Apple TV´s in the house?. Apple support told me to try disable them as homekit hubs AND to disable the "find nearby airpods" feature. Lo and behold, my Homepods performance improved drastically. No more cutting. No more popping. No more buffering (all lossless related issues for me). Faster Siri, faster homekit.

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Noticed this started recently as well, but only if I AirPlay music to them. If I start a HomeKit scene that plays a playlist ... it's fine with no cut out. Just started happening with the most recent update.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Do you guys have any Apple TV´s in the house?. Apple support told me to try disable them as homekit hubs AND to disable the "find nearby airpods" feature. Lo and behold, my Homepods performance improved drastically. No more cutting. No more popping. No more buffering (all lossless related issues for me). Faster Siri, faster homekit.

Sorry but Apple telling you this is the dumbest thing I have ever seen and heard. So they're telling you to limit a devices functionality and disable another function altogether - to fix a problem that wasn't an issue to begin with?

Reactions: Itinj24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.