HomePod HomePod Disconnects as Hub

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by DNichter, May 2, 2018.

1. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Hoping for some help here. All is working fine for me as a HomeKit hub, but when my girlfriend leaves our WiFi network, the HomePod disconnects. I know there was an issue with a Netgear Orbi firmware that I have since resolved, but it hasn’t fixed the issue. I tried resetting the HomePod and setting it up as new, but it hasn’t worked. Any ideas?

2. DNichter thread starter macrumors 604

DNichter

Seems all of my issues may have been connected to my Netgear Orbi router. Netgear released an updated firmware specifically for HomeKit issues and everything seems to be working right/super stable.

3. cynics macrumors G4

I read up on it a little. Apparently the firmware update that broke HomeKit was to fix Google Home. Its annoying knowing that a router setting and/or firmware can break your home automation. Obviously a router is an important device for remote control of home automation but for the Orbi to otherwise function flawlessly except with HomeKit makes me nervous now knowing Apple isn't going to continue their line of routers. Which is the most Apple compatible? Lol.

4. DNichter thread starter macrumors 604

DNichter

I think with the wealth of options out there, we will adapt and be OK in this area. You do have a fair point though as you want the option that plays nice with all of your particular gear. I know if there was an Apple certified mesh router, I would certainly go that way. In the case of the Orbi, I feel that they have heard the frustrations with their users and will now make every effort to make sure the HomeKit stuff isn't acting up again. At least I hope.

5. cynics macrumors G4

You are obviously right. The frustration for me would just be trying ten dozen different Apple things to find out it’s something completely unrelated. I have a feeling we will be seeing similar issues in the future.