Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, Apple pushed out firmware for its $349 HomePod smart speaker ahead of the device's launch in December, and developer Steve Troughton-Smith has been sharing some interesting tidbits online that he managed to unearth in the code.

Bearing the name "AudioAccessory1,1", the firmware reveals that the HomePod runs a full iOS stack - essentially like an iPhone without a screen - and relies on a shell app called "SoundBoard" to integrate with the device's hardware.

homepod_apps.jpg
Looks like the 'shell' app on HomePod is called SoundBoard. It runs a full iOS stack, unsurprisingly. Its apps are prefixed with 'Air' pic.twitter.com/IPFF0vV3UT - Steve T-S (@stroughtonsmith) July 28, 2017

Troughton-Smith said that HomePod apps are prefixed with "Air" in the firmware, but that there currently appears to be no provision for third-party apps or extensions in the OS shell.

In addition to revealing that the device will include Accessibility features like VoiceOver, Troughton-Smith also found references to an LED matrix, possibly relating to the area on the top of the speaker that with the right density could display shapes and/or symbols.

Plus and minus symbols and a Siri button are known to be on the top of the device, so the existence of an LED matrix could potentially present additional information to the user, such as icons or a graphic equalizer.

So the #HomePod probably has a screen like this. If it's the right density could easily show basic things like temperature & weather icons pic.twitter.com/l5f16EkddV - Alan Miller (@rosewoodat5th) July 28, 2017

Oddly enough, the developer also found that the HomePod is identified as an iPhone SE in the iTunes Store.

Apple is sure to make further changes to the software that runs the audio speaker before it ships in December, so we'll likely have to wait until then for the full lowdown on its functionality. In the meantime, you can learn more about the device by checking out the MacRumors HomePod roundup.

Article Link: HomePod Firmware Reveals Further Details on Apple's Smart Speaker

chopdog

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2007
I'm still confused by the HomePod. I'm sure it's a lovely piece of hardware. But they support Sonos in their stores, open up Apple Music to Sonos - and then stop the integration and leave it in the air..... and then launch their own single speaker. Is it a personal assistant, or a single hit music speaker? The whole Sonos / Apple / HomePod area is still unclear to me. I think, these days, people have a mix of sources, Spotify, Amazon, radio feeds, Mixcloud, Soundcloud, Apple Music etc... but I don't see the HomePod having that diverse community of audio sources.

Or have I missed something?

X--X

Suspended
Jun 11, 2015
I'm still confused by the HomePod.

Apple doesn't have clear strategies with products anymore.

Everything that Cook releases is vague, just like Apple Watch where they completely changed the interface, the marketing and targeting multiple times and they will do the same with HomePod. They're not thought out products.

It's more like, let's realease it and see what happens.

----

PLUS it feels like they are already behind, right from the start. Everybody is going to screens to display additional information. Just a music speaker that only works with Apple Music and with no real display for 349 plus taxes, I don't see it being a big hit.

We'll see.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Everything that Cook releases is vague, just like Apple Watch where they completely changed the interface, the marketing and targeting multiple times and they will do the same with HomePod. They're not thought out products.

----

PLUS it feels like they are already behind, right from the start. Everybody is going to screens to display additional information. Just a music speaker that only works with Apple Music and with no real display, I don't see it being a big hit.

So you say everything Cook releases is vague? You mean like the iPad that's been highly successful with the recent launch back in June, the Apple Watch that's been highly successful, not to mention the best selling smart phone in the world with the iPhone, the AirPods that have been back ordered since last December and have had stellar reviews. Sounds like those vague products are doing very well to me.

Also, does that, shock you that Apple has not released their product first before others? It shouldn't. It Shouldn't be about being the first on the market, it should be about releasing the better product. They always are the last, but they always seem to put out the products that have more unique features. That's what makes Apple products stand out.

The HomePod may not be the first smart speaker/Bluetooth home audio system on the market, but it certainly is going to bring quality sound and will sell out.

Last edited:

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

----

PLUS it feels like they are already behind, right from the start. Everybody is going to screens to display additional information. Just a music speaker that only works with Apple Music and with no real display for 349 plus taxes, I don't see it being a big hit.

We'll see.

Apple has a strategy. Release a product that already exists, but strip down some basic features while having some cool ones. Everyone is so happy to have something *NEW* that they don't mind the lack of capibiity. Then the next generation they give people some of what they want and they sell even more.

Then they'll raise the prices on the new models, but keep older ones at a lower entry level price so it offsets the price hike of the new generation.

I'm confused. Didn't we already know it has a display at the top?

Everyone thought it just showed the Siri symbol and nothing else.

I think I'll wait for the Retina HomePod.

:D

Seriously though, why 32x32, when 256x256 would make it more of a classy device?

So that they can release an updated one in a year or 2 and tout that as a tent pole feature.

X--X

Suspended
Jun 11, 2015
So you say everything Cook releases is vague? You mean like the iPad that's been highly successful

It's a Steve Jobs product which has seen almost no improvements in 10 years. the only difference in terms of software (which means actual use) in 10 years is now we have sort of a baby drag and drop. That's it.

And it is not "highly successful" either, sales have gone down for iPad every year. Because they didn't continue to innovate on it with Cook as CEO, as they should have.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's a Steve Jobs product which has seen almost no improvements in 10 years.

Completely false. And nor are you taking in the full retrospect of all the iPad capabilities. There may have been some stagnancy with the iPad, but with iOS 11 and the latest iPad Pros, they don't need to drastically change every single year to make it a successful product. Not to mention, what other competition does the iPad have from stopping it from being the best selling tablet on the market?

Also, let's not compare Steve Jobs and Tim Cook. They're not the same CEOs and they obviously share different traits.

btltez

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2016
they still haven't gotten Apple Music right. It still ruins your iTunes library. No thanks. Google Play Music/YouTube Red and Google Home work fine. Will never touch Apple Music again, tried twice and both times obliterated my library. Amazing they don't mention it much less fix it. Apple software is horrible.

X--X

Suspended
Jun 11, 2015
Apple has a strategy. Release a product that already exists, but strip down some basic features while having some cool ones.

That's rewriting history a little bit. That wasn't the case with the Mac, it wasn't the case with the iPod, and it wasn't the case with the iPhone either. wWhen they came to market, they had technology and usability unmatched by anything from the competition.

HomePod is not a better speaker that other products, and not a btter home assistant thatn other products. It's not better at anything, not when it comes to technolgy and not when it comes to usabailty.

Hell you can even get a Jony Ive designed home speaker from Harmon/Kardon which let's you play ALL streaming services, not just Apple music and sounds better or equally good with 360° audio.

harmon.jpg

• 6 mid- to high-range 1.5" transducers for accurate, Omni-directional sound and a 4.5” subwoofer for rich, powerful bass
  • Custom, stereo-widening DSP audio technology engineered for room-filling, full frequency sound
  • Built-in Bluetooth feature streams audio from your Bluetooth devices wirelessly
  • Built-in Apple Air Play system with easy set-up for your Apple devices, DLNA for Windows and Android devices, and Spotify Connect
  • Customized Harman Kardon Remote app allows for easy set-up and added connectivity

Last edited:

simply258

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2003
Bahrain
It's Apple's answer to the Amazon Echo but with proper speakers. Also it's an accessory, not a full fledged device. I don't know why some people are complaining, it's not supposed to be the next hit product like the iPhone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
HomePod is not a better speaker that other products, and not a btter home assistant thatn other products. It's not better at anything, not when it comes to technolgy and not when it comes to usabailty.

So how much credibility is your post supposed to have based on the fact that you have no experience with the Home Pod? Let alone we don't even know its full potential based on "Usability." Question, have you personally tested the HomePod to make that assessment?

Last edited:

btltez

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2016
It's Apple's answer to the Amazon Echo but with proper speakers. Also it's an accessory, not a full fledged device. I don't know why some people are complaining, it's not supposed to be the next hit product like the iPhone.
I agree with you. And I would love one if Apple Music worked. Yeah the streaming works but if you have a large well maintained iTunes library, it obliterates it.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I really hope Apple releases some sort of optional battery base unit for this speaker so it then becomes portable. I would definitely buy it then, would make it so much more flexible not having to plug it into the mains all the time.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
That's rewriting history a little bit. That wasn't the case with the Mac, it wasn't the case with the iPod, and it wasn't the case with the iPhone either. wWhen they came to market, they had technology and usability unmatched by anything from the competition.

Hell you can even get a Jony Ive designed home speaker from Harmon/Kardon which let's you play ALL streaming services, not just Apple music and sound better with 360° audio for less money.

harmon.jpg

Yes the iPhone and iPod changed the game, but it is true that Apple leaves certain things out so that it can be a selling point in the next phone. Video recording, MMS, copy/paste, 3G etc were things that other phones could do, BUT because the iPhone was so revolutionary they didn't need to put those things in at first.

HomePod isn't a game changer like Apple's flagship products, but like clockwork I'm sure version 2 will have features that people were clamoring for the 1st time around.

SideBar: I think the HomePod is going to be a hit. Really seems like they packed a lot of technology into it and I'm sure it's only going to improve from June to December.

Reactions: sunwukong

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

----

We'll see.

You mean like how just a few months ago, Apple was being criticised for being behind in AR, only to see that narrative completely turned on its head being ARkit being made available on hundreds of millions of iOS devices in a few months time?

This is a clear case of Apple's long term product strategy hiding in plain sight. By the time Apple had revealed all the cards in their hand, it will have been all over for the competition.

I don't dare to claim that I know everything that Apple is up to, but I can say one thing - Apple always has a plan, and one underestimates Apple to their own detriment.

X--X

Suspended
Jun 11, 2015
HomePod isn't a game changer like Apple's flagship products, but like clockwork I'm sure version 2 will have features that people were clamoring for the 1st time around.

I would agree with that, but in interviews Cook compares it to iPod and iPhone. Saying we don't need to be first, when we are the best. But this isn't the best.

You mean like how just a few months ago, Apple was being criticised for being behind in AR, only to see that narrative completely turned on its head being ARkit being made available on hundreds of millions of iOS devices in a few months time?

What has that to do with the speaker?

Reactions: sunwukong

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Hell you can even get a Jony Ive designed home speaker from Harmon/Kardon which let's you play ALL streaming services, not just Apple music and sound better with 360° audio for less money.

harmon.jpg

There's a Reddit thread in the audiophile section on the homepod, and the general consensus amongst the sound enthusiasts is that the homepod could seriously give the Sonos speaker run for its money.

I suspect Apple is using the A8 chip and custom software to allow the speaker to produce better sound quality than its size might otherwise indicate.

This would be classic Apple. Using their control over their hardware, software and services to produce a user experience unmatched by other companies who lack the ability to do the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.