Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Later this year, Apple is adding third-party music support to the HomePod, which will allow the speaker to work with services like Spotify and Pandora by default.

homepodfeatures.jpg

At the current time, third-party music services like Spotify can only be streamed on the HomePod using AirPlay and an iPhone, iPad, or Mac. The new feature will presumably allow Spotify and other music services to be set as the default music service, letting users ask Siri to stream music by specifying "with Spotify" at the end of a request.

Apple didn't mention the tidbit while introducing its new software updates, but the feature was highlighted when Apple was introducing new HomeKit features.

In a HomeKit slide covering the new Home app, there's an icon of the HomePod along that reads "third-party music services." Support for third-party music services was rumored ahead of the release of iOS 14, with Bloomberg suggesting Apple would implement the feature.

The new HomePod software is not available yet, so third-party music service support won't be able to be tested at this time. The HomePod is also getting a new option that will allow Siri to announce when a HomeKit-compatible doorbell is rung.

(Thanks, Chris!)

Article Link: HomePod Gaining Support for Third-Party Music Services

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
They won't admit to it, but they've just waved the white flag.

Which begs the question... What is the point of HomePod if Apple isn't bringing any innovation to the market?
I disagree.

HomePod is a platform (it runs a scaled down version of tvOS) and it should be able to stream from services other than Apple Music.

Being able to play "free" Amazon Prime Music would make HomePod more attractive for those that do not like Alexa's privacy policy.

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
This is a welcomed feature for many. I just wish they'd sell a Portable HomePod (oxymoron?) version. Sometimes I want to bring my HomePod to the beach with me. In fact, they should promote it as a speaker, not a Home device and it'd sell way better. Clearly it's not working as a Home device because its competitors significantly undercut the pricing. Yes, the Homepod is arguably a better product in terms of sound quality but Siri is rubbish.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I like my 2 HomePods which I put in stereo mode. But somehow they not accessible from Home App. And you can not reset them when they are joined for stereo. So, I am stuck. They appear as Airplay 2 speakers but since I can not add them to Home I can update them or make any changes.

Anybody run into this and found a solution?

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018

Which begs the question... What is the point of HomePod if Apple isn't bringing any innovation to the market?
Awesome sound quality?
[automerge]1592859519[/automerge]
And now they are another Sonos. I like Sonos better thanks to Alexa.
Alexa is a train wreck
[automerge]1592859578[/automerge]
I like my 2 HomePods which I put in stereo mode. But somehow they not accessible from Home App. And you can not reset them when they are joined for stereo. So, I am stuck. They appear as Airplay 2 speakers but since I can not add them to Home I can update them or make any changes.

Never heard of your problem. You can reset them
[automerge]1592859666[/automerge]
This is a welcomed feature for many. I just wish they'd sell a Portable HomePod (oxymoron?) version. Sometimes I want to bring my HomePod to the beach with me. In fact, they should promote it as a speaker, not a Home device and it'd sell way better. Clearly it's not working as a Home device because its competitors significantly undercut the pricing. Yes, the Homepod is arguably a better product in terms of sound quality but Siri is rubbish.
no. And use headphones at the beach, no one wants to hear your music
[automerge]1592859777[/automerge]
They failed to bring people around their vision, so they are just resorting to damage control at this point.
not sure if I catch your meaning. HomePod is a great device, I love Apple Music and Homekit. Doesn't this just open it to more people? Is that a bad thing?

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland

You want a Sonos Move.

Reactions: Huck and Lazy

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

Not true. It’s accessible as one speaker. You’re also able to unpair them in HomeKit as well. May want to read up on it.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I disagree.

HomePod is a platform (it runs a scaled down version of tvOS) and it should be able to stream from services other than Apple Music.

Being able to play "free" Amazon Prime Music would make HomePod more attractive for those that do not like Alexa's privacy policy.
Then you better keep streaming it from your phone. if Alexa gets on any device, there goes your privacy

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
Come on SiriusXM, get this going. And while you're at it, get Siri integration on CarPlay working too... a feature which has been available since iOS 13 released!

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas

Not all of us visit public beaches, haha. That was just an example. Other examples: I could pair two HomePods or three at a party, or I could use some at my business when sharing a video/etc. It would open the device for much more.

Fanboys like you are annoying. I love Apple, but I'm not a blind sheep applauding a failing product that even Apple does not know what to do with anymore.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Awesome sound quality?
[automerge]1592859519[/automerge]

Alexa is a train wreck
[automerge]1592859578[/automerge]

Never heard of your problem. You can reset them
[automerge]1592859666[/automerge]

not sure if I catch your meaning. HomePod is a great device, I love Apple Music and Homekit. Doesn't this just open it to more people? Is that a bad thing?
Matched by the Echo Studio at this point

How I can have full conversations with Alexa with Siri im reminded the weather data comes from the weather channel every time and god help me if I want something specific like humidity.

Headphones at the beach just seems weird to me everytime ive gone to a beach its been in a jeep top down with friends, fire and the music blasting. I cant imagine the market segment Apple targets with the Homepod being any different everyone is buying up portable bluetooth speakers like crazy Apple could easily market this.

• Haha
Reactions: MevetS

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014

This makes no sense... Google and Amazon also have their own music services but allow others to be the default. You can have Alexa play Apple Music...

Reactions: xyz01

AidenL

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Ireland
The HomePod doesn’t even work in Ireland yet. I would have 6 Echos in the house, would all be HomePods if Ireland was on the supported countries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.