HomePod Holds Estimated 70% Share of Growing $200+ Smart Speaker Market

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 19, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While the HomePod did not rank among the top five smart speakers in worldwide shipments last quarter, it is dominating the premium end of the market, according to research firm Strategy Analytics.

[​IMG]

Strategy Analytics claims the HomePod accounts for 70 percent of the small but growing $200-plus smart speaker market, topping competing products such as the Google Home Max and a variety of Sonos speakers.

Among smart speakers of any price, the HomePod accounted for just six percent of the market, as Strategy Analytics estimated last month. If accurate, the data shouldn't come as much of a surprise, as the top five best-selling smart speakers are all regularly priced between $49 and $129 in the United States.

By comparison, the HomePod is priced at $349 in the United States, although rumors have suggested Apple has considered releasing a lower-priced version, possibly in the form of a Siri-enabled Beats speaker.

The world's most-shipped smart speakers last quarter were the Google Home Mini, Amazon Echo Dot, Amazon Echo, Chinese company Alibaba's Tmall Genie, and the Google Home, according to Strategy Analytics. As always, it's important to remember that shipments don't necessarily reflect sales to customers.

[​IMG]

David Watkins, Director of Strategy Analytics' Smart Speaker Service:
    As noted by Watkins, Apple has marketed the HomePod's premium audio quality more than its Siri capabilities, as justification for its $349 price. Reviews do agree it sounds a lot better than offerings from Google and Amazon.

All in all, the smart speaker market is shaping up to be a lot like other product categories Apple operates in. Apple dominates the premium end of the smartphone market with the iPhone, for example, whereas Samsung and many other Android smartphone makers offer a variety of devices at a wide range of price points.

Article Link: HomePod Holds Estimated 70% Share of Growing $200+ Smart Speaker Market

2. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

theres a $200+ market? who knew lol

the sonos one is not $200

3. donster28 macrumors 68000

The HomePod is the best sounding smart speaker I've ever owned...period.

4. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

And let me guess, Apple will own 90% of the $1,100 + smartphone market

5. Zoboomafoo macrumors 6502

I'm kind of like ... The HomePod shares 100% of the homepod market. The 200$+ market seems fairly fabricated to make apple look good?

6. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

7. Schnegg macrumors member

Schnegg

I wonder why no one talks about the Yamaha speakers (Yamaha MusicCast 20 et a.). They actually know a thing or two about sound. If someone has a link to a review, I would be interested in reading it.

8. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

This is like baseball statistics. Slice and dice any way you like to get a stat that sounds impressive. "He bats 90% when he hits on the 2nd Tuesday of September after a 4 game winning streak."

9. doomfront macrumors regular

The Play:5 is probably the most used piece of tech in my house other than phones, such an incredible speaker. Always wonder why people would compare the Homepod to devices like the Amazon echo when Sonos is a much better speaker to compare it too.

10. PickUrPoison, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018

PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

Google Max is $399 and there are lots above $200, including Sonos.

Apple doesn’t attempt to compete with the smart microphone products like the $50 google and amazon products, just like they don’t play in the cheap phone market—they’re perfectly happy for Android to own 100% of that.

HomePod is a great sounding speaker, and even though it has low margins Apple’s fine with that, since it sells $100/year Apple Music subscriptions.

11. Relentless Power, Sep 19, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The HomePod is not Just advertised as a Bluetooth speaker, it’s a music player first. If you look at Apple’s marketing, that’s what it’s all about, is touting the sound quality versus just what the echo Dot can produce in terms of features.

12. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Apple holds estimated 100% share of MacBook laptops market.

13. AngerDanger, Sep 19, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Gotta love those flickering moiré patterns whenever you scroll by a HomePod story.

If HomePods were people, they’d dress in these camera-confusing shirts:

6C4B02CE-AFD7-4781-8B7D-962EFFC7EF66.jpeg

14. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

I still dont understand this thing. You can hook up an Eco dot to a Sonos system and it can do 100x more then a Homepod.

15. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

Apple is probably going to kill Sonos. Hopefully they can ape their entire lineup. Looking forwards to a HomeBar for TV and HomeSub!

Just think of the incredible cinematic, TFX & Dolby surpassing, surround we could get with 1 HomeBar and 4 HomePods linked!

16. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Apple needs to concentrate on the market’s needs, in this case, a cheaper and smarter HomePod.

17. Morgenland Suspended

Morgenland

I switched from Sonos (incl. :5) to HomePod. I have never regretted it.

18. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

No, they just own 90% of the smartphone profits as they will in the smart speaker market.

Strategy being executed brilliantly.

19. apolloa macrumors G4

Eeerrrrr hhhhmmmm straining to think here,.... nope I can’t think of more then 2 other speakers in that market! And one was only launched a couple of weeks ago, well that’s if they actually include sound bars in these ‘estimates’?

20. msama macrumors newbie

I've got an echo dot and a HomePod. HomePod is great for music and podcasts while getting ready. Haven't used them for much else besides the occasional "Tell me a joke", "Tell me a better joke", and "play the news". I haven't learned the commands to control the lights yet...

21. apolloa macrumors G4

Yeah it’ll truly be a bargain £2000...

Give me Sonos any day of the week with Alexa.

And no, they won’t ‘kill’ Sonos..

22. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

Sonos have sold out to Amazon and their Alexa system, screw them. Anyone on this forum who owns Sonos should be replacing their Sonos speakers with Apple. Support the REAL trillion dollar company and not those hacks.

23. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Kidding aside, I don’t think Apple’s trying to compete with the Echo’s of the world. They’re focusing on sound first, and Amazon doesn’t necessarily have the best speakers.

But Apple doesn’t have the best AI. I wonder if you can use Siri shortcuts with the HomePod, that might make it worth it.

24. apolloa macrumors G4

Ah I see, so you just hate anything not made by Apple.. no matter how much better it is.

25. PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

There are many manufacturers of voice-assistant enabled speakers priced above $200, right?