HomePod Homepod Issue - Plugging In

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Zimmy68, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Zimmy68

I'm the type that doesn't like to keep something plugged in if I won't be using it for hours or days.
    I have an Echo Show for my assistant needs so I don't need an always active Siri speaker.

I love the Homepod but also like to be able to move it around. My office, my garage, the living room, etc.

I noticed something that concerns me for long term use.

Almost every time I plug in the Homepod, I see sparks coming from the outlet, no matter which outlet.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a concern?

I can always swap for another one if so.

2. Cinab1mt macrumors regular

I have noticed this with mine as well..personally I don't see it as that big of a deal. I figured it had something to do with it always being on as it lacks an on/off switch. Maybe someone with more electrical expertise can provide some better insight..

3. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

A switched socket would help you here I think. If it is sparking, I would consider getting an electrician to check your outlets and earth connection.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

If the device is turned on and you plug it in, you might see a small spark when plugged in.

It is normal and you do not need to call an electrician.

5. Endorphine88 macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

The device is always on, so as soon as you plug it in it draws power hence the sparks.
    If your concern is the cost - it draws power comparable to a lightbulb when actively being used and a negligible amount when on standby
    If your concern is privacy - there is a way to turn the microphone off (tedious and buried in the iOS menu, but it's doable)