Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Anyone else run into this?

Out of nowhere, I got a screech not dissimilar to a smoke alarm for about 10 seconds. Nothing was shown on the top display, when I got to it, it stopped and when I pressed the top it operated as normal.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
IF it happened in the middle of the night the HP would be in the garbage!

Agreed with that - luckily this was in the middle of the day. Now I need to wonder if I should unplug it overnight, which lowers the value prop a tad.

Overall, still like it with it's quirks.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I would monitor it & see if it happens again. If so (before send it to the garbage, lol) I'd take it to the apple store. The product is still new enough that I'm sure they'd replace it.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Support said they would let development know. I'm happy just keeping an eye (oops, ear) out for any re-occurances.

kylew1212

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2017
Huntsville, AL
Thank goodness that wasn't at night. Last night my lamp turned on (via homekit) for no reason, and nearly gave me a heartattack. I still don't know what happened or why, this was the first time. Bugs happening like this during the night is so much worse.

Reactions: afir93

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Had a nest protect go off as we were going to sleep and it would not stop finally had to take the batteries out and just got it replaced. Our first one had a feather in it and went off at the worst possible time

Cinab1mt

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
I didn’t want to start a new thread for this but my HomePod just made a loud “pop” sound, similar to the sound of popping a balloon. I was downstairs when it happened (HomePod is upstairs in our master bedroom)...I immediately went and replayed the last song and it doesn’t appear that anything is wrong with the speaker, no distortion etc. Anyone else experienced this, contemplating taking it back and exchanging it .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.