HomePod Launching in Japan and Taiwan This Summer

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 10, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has announced that its HomePod speaker will be available to order in Japan and Taiwan later this summer.

[​IMG]

The speaker has had a slow worldwide rollout since launching in February 2018, with availability currently limited to the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Spain, Mexico, China, and Hong Kong.

In April, Apple lowered the price of the HomePod from $349 to $299 in the United States. As of the fourth quarter of 2018, the speaker had an estimated worldwide market share of just four percent, according to Strategy Analytics.

Pricing will be ¥32,800 in Japan and NT$9,900 in Taiwan.

Article Link: HomePod Launching in Japan and Taiwan This Summer

2. Mactendo macrumors 68000

3. lobbyist macrumors regular

lobbyist

Is that a sign Homepod 2 won't be released until next year?

4. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

Probably so, this product won’t be updated yearly, probably ever few years. They struggled from the start with the price and Siri limitations.

5. ThatGuyInLa macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

iOS 13 has the ability to use hey Siri to activate and turn on your TV set to watch a program. However it only works with iPads and iPhones. So for you people who have HomePods it again is another thing it can’t do. Ironic for some as they use HomePods with their TV as their speakers too.

6. somethingelsefl macrumors 6502

somethingelsefl

It's almost like Apple doesn't care about the Home Pod.

7. IPPlanMan macrumors 6502

Perhaps February 2020?

8. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

So we might get the HomePod in Ireland around same time the HomePod 3 or 4 is launched elsewhere

9. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502a

DocMultimedia

I can't believe this isn't available worldwide at this point.

10. chinito77 macrumors regular

chinito77

Apple, please don't bother with this. Just take all the user feedback and release a HomePod 2 with bluetooth connectivity at the very least. You've got this amazing sounding speaker that has such limited use! The HomePod will not sell well here in Japan, lots of cheaper options are available here.

11. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

I want to buy a HomePod. Not sure if I should wait for gen 2 or buy now.

12. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

I’m one who usually doesn’t buy first generation Apple hardware.

HomePod was the exception. I already have two-I love the stereo sound and enjoy the ability to use the HomeKit to control my accessories.

13. vnrwka macrumors member

왜 한국은 없어....

why not South Korea huh?

14. truthertech macrumors 68000

There won't be a HomePod 2 for several years as the HomePod has a powerful processor to get updates. You might see a Mini to satisfy the demand for a smaller speaker.

15. truthertech macrumors 68000

No, it's the opposite. Apple built this for the long term. They could have simply made available world wide from the get go. Instead, they've waited to expand sales until they had worked out critical Airplay 2, multi-speaker play and a host of great features like making phone calls, etc., and now of course, ability to recognize different voices.

Most importantly on the international roll out has been Apple's careful testing of language skills .Siri is the most used digital assistant in the world, and she speaks more languages than any other DA, but Apple has been customizing features for HomePod, so they have focused on roll out after enhanced work with each of the world's major languages. That's why the roll out has been English, French, Spanish, German, Chinese and now Japanese. That's not how they normally roll out sales.

This strategy is typical Apple and will pay off in the long run as the HomePod blows away the competition in sound quality, and privacy of course. Apple doesn't care about competing with the throw away $20 Echo's for market share. Instead they are focusing on a great customer experience.

16. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

This feature was in the last update. I can do it on my ios devices but not my homepod. I was hoping it would come in iOS 13 but it didn't.