HomePod HomePod Longevity

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by cap7ainclu7ch, Feb 12, 2018.

1. cap7ainclu7ch macrumors 6502

So I was thinking the other day that when you invest in most high quality speakers, you are pretty much guaranteed to be able to use them for a very very long time with pretty much any input that you desire. With ever-changing wireless protocols and technology, is the HomePod going to be able to be used with an iPhone made 6 or 7 years from now? Are the newer wireless technologies going to have backwards compatibility? I'm loving the sound quality but the thought of having an "outdated" speaker down the road is a bit of a bummer seeing as good sound is good sound.

2. Herbit macrumors newbie

The Airplay protocol was reverse engineered, so this will be available even if Apple stops the Siri support.

3. ericwn macrumors 68020

Only time will tell what Apple devices will work with a HomePod in a couple years. Hope the HomePod fares better than the iPod HiFi! However - keep in mind that you can easily spend way more on a set of high-end speakers than a single HomePod would cost. In terms of high-end audio devices and prices the sky is the limit.

4. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

This is certainly something to consider. I bought my 5.1 speakers with the knowledge that they'd be good for at least a decade easily, if not two. HomePod on the other hand will almost certainly be obsolete long before my speakers need replaced.