Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Madchemic39

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2020
The whole thing recently with them is just frustrating. You want them to just work but every single day a new issue pops out. And yes, yesterday my Minis refused to do a setup, so manual hard reset today. Such fun! ?

Last edited:

StumpyBloke

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2012
England
Both of my new minis have continuously lost connection in the home app. Never had a problem with the full fat HomePod though.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2012
England
I would say it’s a software issue which hopefully they will address. I’ve got another one coming in the next few days so will be interesting to see if I have the same problem with that. In all fairness though they haven’t had this issue for the last few days, only during the first two or three days that I set them up.

Madchemic39

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2020
I would say it’s a software issue which hopefully they will address. I’ve got another one coming in the next few days so will be interesting to see if I have the same problem with that. In all fairness though they haven’t had this issue for the last few days, only during the first two or three days that I set them up.
I have 3 Minis at home and yesterday all of them just refused to do setup. Will let you know how it goes after factory reset. It should work. Fingers crossed.

Ansath

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2018
England
I have various annoying issues with the Homepod Minis, which is disappointing....

1. Handoff sometimes just will not work when gesturing.
2. Stereo pair will occasionally stop playing out of one speaker for 10-30 seconds, then will come back again on it's own accord.
3. Sometimes it will claim it's not connected to the internet, some of those times, one will just work as normal.

So frustrating! I am constantly having to restart them, and sometimes I have to do it by unplugging them, as the option is not there in the Home app.

Might try resetting them and reconfiguring them, but wonder if that leads to the same result.

Reactions: beachmusic

Calumma

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2020
I have various annoying issues with the Homepod Minis, which is disappointing....

1. Handoff sometimes just will not work when gesturing.
2. Stereo pair will occasionally stop playing out of one speaker for 10-30 seconds, then will come back again on it's own accord.
3. Sometimes it will claim it's not connected to the internet, some of those times, one will just work as normal.

So frustrating! I am constantly having to restart them, and sometimes I have to do it by unplugging them, as the option is not there in the Home app.

Might try resetting them and reconfiguring them, but wonder if that leads to the same result.
I had an issue with setting up the homepod minis after a white screen of death that required me to reset HomeKit. This all happened yesterday. I put it down to an old iPad mini I was using as a hub. But who knows. It’s the third time I’ve had to reset everything (old iPad now switched off).

First thing I noticed was the set up process was taking a very long time to complete. In fact it never completed for one mini. I solved this by unplugging the mini and setting up again (not just a reset, but unplug and reset). Still took a while but did complete.

After resetting and rebuilding my devices in the home app I also noticed that intercom was working solidly on my iPhone for several hours. Previously the setting for turning on individual users in iOS 14.2 wouldn’t stick on my iPhone SE. I then added my wife back to home and bang the intercom immediately switched off and once again the on setting will not stick. Interestingly it won’t stay on even if I only try to turn it on for myself. Assuming this is a bug that hopefully will get fixed in 10.3

The multiuser option for recognising voices of different users still doesn’t work for us (British accent). HomePod will recognise me but no matter how many hoops we jump through retraining Siri etc, it will not recognise my wife. We’ve pretty much given up on this so called feature.

Madchemic39

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2020
I had an issue with setting up the homepod minis after a white screen of death that required me to reset HomeKit. This all happened yesterday. I put it down to an old iPad mini I was using as a hub. But who knows. It’s the third time I’ve had to reset everything (old iPad now switched off).

First thing I noticed was the set up process was taking a very long time to complete. In fact it never completed for one mini. I solved this by unplugging the mini and setting up again (not just a reset, but unplug and reset). Still took a while but did complete.

After resetting and rebuilding my devices in the home app I also noticed that intercom was working solidly on my iPhone for several hours. Previously the setting for turning on individual users in iOS 14.2 wouldn’t stick on my iPhone SE. I then added my wife back to home and bang the intercom immediately switched off and once again the on setting will not stick. Interestingly it won’t stay on even if I only try to turn it on for myself. Assuming this is a bug that hopefully will get fixed in 10.3

The multiuser option for recognising voices of different users still doesn’t work for us (British accent). HomePod will recognise me but no matter how many hoops we jump through retraining Siri etc, it will not recognise my wife. We’ve pretty much given up on this so called feature.
Did You try logging off an back in to her ICloud account?

Calumma

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2020
We did. We tried all combinations of turning personal requests off and on as well as retraining Siri. All devices updated etc.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I thought I heard something about the minis and the 5ghz band. Maybe just try the 2.4 one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.