Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple last month announced that the HomePod mini would be made available in several new countries in June. Now, less than a month later, the HomePod mini has officially launched in Austria and Ireland, and is listed as "available in June" in New Zealand, suggesting availability in the next couple of weeks.

homepod-mini-thumb-feature.jpg

The HomePod mini is the follow-up to the original HomePod released in 2018. The full-sized HomePod failed to become a mainstream hit, leading to its discontinuation. The $99 HomePod mini features a significantly smaller design than the original HomePod but offers the same functionality enabled by Siri.

The HomePod mini first launched in October of 2020 in the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Spain, and the UK. Both the HomePod and HomePod mini will gain support for Apple Music's recently launched lossless audio feature via a software update later this year. Additionally, the HomePod mini will be able to be set as the default output speaker for Apple TV 4K starting later this year.

Article Link: HomePod mini Launches in Austria and Ireland, Coming to New Zealand Later This Month

Last edited:

mungo2k

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Does anyone know why the rollout is slow around the world? Is it technical or legal? A Siri-language issue? 3 years after the original HomePod release, you still cannot officially buy it in rich, Apple-loving countries like Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands, or in other large European countries like Portugal, Italy, Poland, Belgium etc.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Does anyone know why the rollout is slow around the world? Is it technical or legal? A Siri-language issue? 3 years after the original HomePod release, you still cannot officially buy it in rich, Apple-loving countries like Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands, or in other large European countries like Portugal, Italy, Poland, Belgium etc.
Exactly what I was about to post.

Maybe the full-sized HomePod would have been more successful it was officially released in more countries with Siri support for more languages and also working with ”direct streaming” (i.e. not just AirPlay) of music services other than Apple Music?

sharbeen

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2013
United Arab Emirates
they sell grey market homepod and HomePod mini here in UAE and for almost double the price. dont understand why the slow roll out. I would’ve bought the original HomePod had they launched here officially.

G46&Fbnth5

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2021
I think it’s due to Siri, since in almost all the countries that HomePods aren’t sold, Siri is not available on Apple TV either.

Apple Dave

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2021
It’s still unavailable for purchase on the New Zealand Apple Store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: corksta

ah93

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
West Midlands, UK

I live in New Zealand and imported one but had to switch my Siri language to Australia as it wasn’t available in NZ. I am assuming that tomorrow I will be able to switch it back to NZ Siri.

Edit: It’s unavailable to purchase in NZ still…

mungo2k

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
I live in New Zealand and imported one but had to switch my Siri language to Australia as it wasn’t available in NZ. I am assuming that tomorrow I will be able to switch it back to NZ Siri.
Yes, I live in Switzerland and you can buy them for a big markup as imports. I guess since they don't have Italian yet, they can't cover all the official languages of Switzerland which might be the blocking point (though if that's the case, there will never be Siri for Switzerland's 4th official language, Retoromansh, so maybe we will never get HomePod!).

kimmen

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Norway
The sound of the original HomePod wasn't bad enough, so Apple had to try again...
This time they succeeded!
I remember when most people had HiFi in their homes... Uncompressed CD sound on big stereo speakers! TWO of them!!!

genovelle

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2008
The sound of the original HomePod wasn't bad enough, so Apple had to try again...
I remember when most people had HiFi in their homes... Uncompressed CD sound on big stereo speakers! TWO of them!!!
How about vinyl?

Reactions: kimmen

matrix07

macrumors 604
Jun 24, 2010
I really hope with iOS 15 Apple would let us set destination in Shortcuts to more than 1 HomePod at a time. Come on. I have 3 in the house!

(And no, it doesn't sell where I live)

mickeynygaard

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
Both my wife and I have iPhones and Apple Watches but for home automation we have to rely on Google Assistant as it is available in our native language (Danish)
We really don't wanna bother speaking or native Danish to Siri on our phones/watches and then English for imported HomePod devices...

I'd swap all the Google Assistant devices in a heartbeat if HomePod was able to understand my native language...

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
With just 1 HomePod Mini on two paired together for Stereo?

Only on 2021 4K AppleTV, or previous gen included?

So no HD AppleTV any gen?
Same functionality as HomePod. And yes as stereo pair, can be set as default, can play dolby Atmos,can play lossless audio, works fine on previous generation 4K AppleTV. (No idea on older, would presume it does stereo pair but older does not do Atmos does it? I don't have one, so I don't know). A future update is supposed to allow Dolby Atmos directly for music played on mini, right now, you can airplay from any device.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I really hope with iOS 15 Apple would let us set destination in Shortcuts to more than 1 HomePod at a time. Come on. I have 3 in the house!

(And no, it doesn't sell where I live)
I have been doing that for awhile. even before iOS 15. Just set scenes in Home app, and run scenes via shortcuts

matrix07

macrumors 604
Jun 24, 2010
I have been doing that for awhile. even before iOS 15. Just set scenes in Home app, and run scenes via shortcuts
I think I understand what you meant. Thank you. A bit convoluted but I’ll check it out.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Well, all random dude snark aside. Professional testers have rated the HomePod as sounding great. (I wold agree). The mini also sounds fantastic. I have a pair set up in a room with a HomePod, you can play on all three speakers, set the volume so that it splits the sound field in the middle and then move between the HomePod and mini, the tone and musical characteristics are pretty much identical, except for a heavier bass sound on the HomePod, but not unpleasantly so.

Reactions: MrFootery

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I think I understand what you meant. Thank you. A bit convoluted but I’ll check it out.
it is actually not convoluted at all. that way you can run the scenes from appletv, your Mac, your iPhone your appleWatch, from Sirii. Maybe it is not the way you would think, but it actually makes a lot on sense. One scene - use it everywhere. I have basically 2 set up HomePods on and HomePods off and then set them in shortcuts as Music on and Music Off. cheers

matrix07

macrumors 604
Jun 24, 2010
it is actually not convoluted at all. that way you can run the scenes from appletv, your Mac, your iPhone your appleWatch, from Sirii. Maybe it is not the way you would think, but it actually makes a lot on sense. One scene - use it everywhere. I have basically 2 set up HomePods on and HomePods off and then set them in shortcuts as Music on and Music Off. cheers
Thanks ? I’ll try it.

Reactions: MrFootery

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
I think it’s due to Siri, since in almost all the countries that HomePods aren’t sold, Siri is not available on Apple TV either.
Siri's been available in Singapore for years, but no HomePod joy. I'm sure it's a business decision- How many can we realistically expect to sell, given the market penetration in markets where available and the small population of SG, vs the cost of an expensive Bay Area salaried engineer flipping a 0 to a 1 in the code to enable Singapore English. Unfortunately, the math doesn't appear to work out...

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe

Well... Siri is available on AppleTV in most European countries, but like on the iPhone/iPad, it seems more limited in functionality (understanding the sentence and context) compared to those countries where the native languages is not English, Spanish, French or German. I still find it amazing that it still can "decode" most voices almost correctly, even the gibberish talk of my 4 year old.

Last edited:

LimpHamster

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2021
Wonder the same, why would it take so long for apple to launch the HomePod in other countries? It is really disappointing. There are more examples of such slow roll-outs, like the swipe to type feature in iOS which is not available in parts of Europe, I suppose the live text feature wont be available in like a decay too :)

Reactions: Jeaz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.