Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has been testing Swedish language support for Siri on the HomePod mini for at least two months, according to Macradion, suggesting that the HomePod mini will be released in Sweden at some point this year.

homepod-mini-thumb-feature.jpg

In addition to Sweden, the HomePod mini will likely launch in at least four more countries in 2022, including the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, and Russia, as the speaker gained support for languages spoken in those countries with a software update in December:
  • Dutch
  • Dutch (Belgium) (Referred to as Flemish by Apple)
  • French (Belgium)
  • French (Switzerland)
  • German (Switzerland)
  • Italian (Switzerland)
  • Russian
Swedish is still not a publicly supported language on the HomePod mini, but Macradion reported that Apple has enlisted a third-party company to send special HomePod minis with Swedish support to select individuals for testing purposes.

First released in October 2020, the HomePod mini is currently available in the United States, Australia, Austria, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom.

Apple began offering the HomePod mini in yellow, orange, and blue colors in November 2021.

Article Link: HomePod Mini Likely Nearing Launch in Five More Countries

Last edited:
Reactions: Martinbillger

JustSomebody12

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2020
Any HomePod product will suffer of operating only through Siri, which is not always the best smart Assistant.

If Apple wished to help the HomePods sell, they should enable 3rd-party Assistants on them, but we all know Siri is more important to Apple than the HomePod.

Can we pleeease have the original HomePod back? Please??
They may release a refresh, but I think they are pursuing a cheap-product policy here, since Siri doesn't simply work.

TheYayAreaLiving 🎗

macrumors demi-goddess

jmho

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2021
Apple needs to realise that there are millions of people who don't live in an English speaking country, but speak and understand English (or other majority languages) just fine.

Seems silly that we have to wait for them to translate everything into the region's main language before we're allowed to even buy a HomePod Mini.

While we're at it, let me sign up for Apple Fitness+ - I promise I won't sit there looking at the screen like a confused caveman trying to work out what "ok now do a jumping jack" means.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Can we pleeease have the original HomePod back? Please??

I can sympathize with you. I have 3 pairs of the old and now a pair of blue minis. Both variants have their different unique features. I am sure that Apple will offer additional big ones again at some point, and you can be curious how Atmos will then probably unfold under WIFI6E. But that will still take some time.

But Apple's team will work on it vigorously. I'm sure they do.

Last edited:

Rychiar

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Any HomePod product will suffer of operating only through Siri, which is not always the best smart Assistant.

If Apple wished to help the HomePods sell, they should enable 3rd-party Assistants on them, but we all know Siri is more important to Apple than the HomePod.

They may release a refresh, but I think they are pursuing a cheap-product policy here, since Siri doesn't simply work.
But why would you want it then? just get a much cheaper Alexa device

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Apple needs to realise that there are millions of people who don't live in an English speaking country, but speak and understand English (or other majority languages) just fine.

Seems silly that we have to wait for them to translate everything into the region's main language before we're allowed to even buy a HomePod Mini.

While we're at it, let me sign up for Apple Fitness+ - I promise I won't sit there looking at the screen like a confused caveman trying to work out what "ok now do a jumping jack" means.

Of course, Apple discussed your topic a long time ago.

Ask the Swiss (I'm not Swiss, but I know some): They attach great importance to Swiss German. And most would grumble if Siri didn't understand it. The dialects in Europe are very different, so it is a big challenge for Apple to inspire ALL consumers, not just those who somehow can speak English fluently like us.

In addition, if you set your language setting to English (as I always do), you can't request anything in other languages when selecting music locally with Siri. Siri simply can't understand that, because Apple has not yet implemented variable language recognition in Siri.
This is a Herculean task for future M-chips, which Androids can or know even less about, of course.

Last edited:

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
I heard these speakers cannot behave like normal bluetooth speakers. I ended up going with the Nest Audio. Way more bang for the buck.

At some point you will earn more money. Then you come back again. I also had a detour via Sonos once.

Bluetooth offers very limited transmission rate.
Its bandwidth makes Lossless and Atmos transmission or an active speaker tuning impossible, which is what Apple demands professionally. Of course, you won't hear that in most standard environments (e.g. in the car).

But in a good acoustic room you will definitely have the inkling to listen only cheap second class.

Last edited:
Reactions: mr.bee

OliOliOliOli

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2019

I guess in all country a music song is the same!

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
That would be very sweet indeed. Have been using HomePods a couple years now but since they don’t officially support Swedish, the functionality has been limited. Hope to see this during first half of the year.

It’s always seemed weird to me why they’ve had this slow rollout of the HomePods. Only reason I can tell is due to having to add an additional language but Siri is already working fine in Swedish on other devices so curious what would make the HomePods so special.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.