MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this week made the HomePod mini available to order in New Zealand, with pricing set at $159 including tax. Available in Space Gray and White, the speaker currently faces a 2-3 weeks shipping estimate in the country.

homepod-mini-thumb-feature.jpg

Apple confirmed the HomePod mini would be launching in additional countries during its WWDC keynote earlier this month. The speaker became available to order in Austria and Ireland last week, and it will be released in Italy later this year. The international expansion comes after the full-sized HomePod was discontinued earlier this year.

HomePod mini was first released in October 2020 in the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Spain, and the UK.

Like the full-sized HomePod, the HomePod mini features built-in Siri for controlling music playback, managing HomeKit accessories, and more. Starting with tvOS 15, two HomePod minis can be set as an Apple TV 4K's default speaker outputs.

Article Link: HomePod Mini Now Available to Order in New Zealand

nothingtoseehere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2020
I don't get why Apple has excluded so many countries. At least in the EU, regulations should not be the problem? Can anyone help me to understand why you would release a product in one EU country and not in another one?

(OK, this may be a silly question but it is mine...)

Comment

JustSomebody12

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2020
I don't get why Apple has excluded so many countries. At least in the EU, regulations should not be the problem? Can anyone help me to understand why you would release a product in one EU country and not in another one?

HomePods (mini) are mostly powered by Siri.

Siri must support a nation’s language with a minimum level of quality for Apple to release the HomePod in that country.

Reactions: TD540
Comment

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008

Language? I mean it’s equally strange to me how some Siri “features” are available just in certain devices, probably they don’t have the Home Pod Mini ready (inexcusable IMHO) in say Dutch.

Just a bit of fun:

Comment

nothingtoseehere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2020

Siri must support a nation’s language with a minimum level of quality for Apple to release the HomePod in that country.
Austria = German (sorry my neighbors!), Ireland = English?

Or is it necessary in Ireland to have Siri in Irish?

Comment

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
Austria = German (sorry my neighbors!), Ireland = English?

Or is it necessary in Ireland to have Siri in Irish?

They probably have to offer not just language but accent, but if they already have the language/accent in the iPhone why does it take for ever in the HomePod is anyone’s guess…

Comment

hagar

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008

That answer makes no sense as Siri has been available in those languages on iPhone, iPad, macOS, etc. for many years.

The only reason I can think off is that Apple wants to make sure international artists are understood as well, but that still doesn’t explain why it has made little progress since the HomePod was announced in 2017.

Reactions: Ikertxo40
Comment

hagar

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
No Siri at all in Dutch?
Yes. Siri is available in Dutch (Netherlands) and Flemish (Belgium) on all devices except the HomePod.

And it’s also unavailable on the ATV in Belgium, which is equally ridiculous.

Comment

JustSomebody12

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2020
That answer makes no sense as Siri has been available in those languages on iPhone, iPad, macOS, etc. for many years.

The only reason I can think off is that Apple wants to make sure international artists are understood as well, but that still doesn’t explain why it has made little progress since the HomePod was announced in 2017.
Yes, but those devices aren’t primarily relying on Siri, which can afford to be of an average quality on them.
But it must be better for the release of the HomePod.
Consider that in Italy we don’t have the HomePod and Siri on the Apple TV is disabled.
If when they release the HomePod (which will happen by the end of the year) they also enable Siri on the Apple TV, we will have an explanation.

Comment

hagar

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Yes, but those devices aren’t primarily relying on Siri, which can afford to be of an average quality on them.
But it must be better for the release of the HomePod.

Siri is of average quality in every language ;-)

I have set my homepods in English as Dutch is not available. She’s as infuriating as ever.

Comment

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Order 2 and use them as a stereo pair. No matter what you are using them for. They sound much better that way.
My daughter got me one and my wife got me another for Father's Day. I set them up on my desk in my office as a stereo pair (I work from home) and was surprised at how good they sound.

Comment

coachgq

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
My daughter got me one and my wife got me another for Father's Day. I set them up on my desk in my office as a stereo pair (I work from home) and was surprised at how good they sound.
I’ve kept 2 stereo pairs of the full size for my 2 main TVs. Otherwise I’ve sold a full size and replaced it with multiple minis all around the house. Two in my home gym and 1 in other places to have a full home intercom system.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.