Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the weekend, it was reported that Apple has been testing Swedish language support for Siri on the HomePod mini for at least two months, and now further reports claim that testing is also underway for Danish and Norwegian.

homepod-mini-thumb-feature.jpg

Based on these reports, it's likely that Apple is planning to launch the HomePod mini in several Nordic countries this year, including Sweden, Denmark, and Norway. Siri already supports Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian on iOS, but Apple is still testing these languages on the HomePod mini to ensure it provides the best experience possible.

It's also likely that Apple will release the HomePod mini in the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, and Russia this year, as the speaker gained support for languages spoken in those countries as part of a software update released in December.

The full list of countries where the HomePod mini is rumored to launch this year so far:
  • Belgium
  • The Netherlands
  • Switzerland
  • Russia
  • Sweden
  • Denmark
  • Norway
First released in October 2020, the HomePod mini is currently available in the United States, Australia, Austria, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom.

Apple began offering the HomePod mini in yellow, orange, and blue colors in November 2021.

Article Link: HomePod Mini Now Rumored to Launch in Seven Countries, Including Denmark and Norway

Last edited:

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
Why not Finland? Usually all the Nordic countries get the same release schedule.

SamboSoul

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2020
Considering how important Asia is for Apple‘s growth, it’s incredible see to see the few markets it has been rolled out so far

SpringKid

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2019
About time. I've been so close to buying one for a very long time, but having multiple devices that understand Swedish and then talk to this single device in English... Nope.

And I don't get what they are testing with Siri. Does Siri work differently on this device than any other device?

Last edited:

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
The bass in HomePods is too weak for heavy metal.
Heavy metal isn't typically mixed with much bass. There are some exceptions (groups like Korn etc), but a lot of metal is done with a relatively "flat" mix compared to other genres. I think a lot of that has to do with the primary emphasis on treble elements like lead/rhythm guitar and vocals.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Why doesn’t apple simply release them in all the countries at once…?
Might need different regulatory clearings in each country, plus wanting to make sure there's a decent amount of stock in each country before going into others, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if there's some different settings they want to set as default in each country, too.

Reactions: MacNerd01

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Why not Finland? Usually all the Nordic countries get the same release schedule.
The Finnish language is very(!) different from Danish, Swedish and Norwegian.

I believe that Finnish isn't even a germanic language even if a lot the modern vocabulary has many germanic words.

But altogether, most language support is quite lacking for other countries than the biggest EU nations, like Germany, France, etc.

Most smaller EU countries don't have native swipe typing, huge gaps in commands that Siri can understand, don't have Live Text support, don't get that word suggestion thing when typing, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: ppetrovic

SpringKid

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2019
The Finnish language is very(!) different from Danish, Swedish and Norwegian.

I believe that Finnish isn't even a germanic language even if a lot the modern vocabulary has many germanic words.
It's not like the fact Danish, Norwegian and Swedish are similar helps here, though. I mean every language needs to be handled as a separate language regardless.

NorAppleFan

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2022
A friend of mine has gotten a Homepod mini that speaks Norwegian. So I can confirm that Norway will soon have the smart speaker from Apple. ?
I am living in Norway and I have been using 3 Homepods(one large and two minis) since 2019 and 2021, and they work well for what I use it for with English voice. I would probably continue to use Siri and Homepod in English after the official Norwegian language comes out, because for me Siri is way better in English than Norwegian.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.