Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoundMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
Hi,

I looked for help online before posting but didn't find my answer, these last two days my HomePod mini hasn't been working. I today reset it and did the (unplug from the outlet and plug back-in)

Nothing shows on my iPhone or Mac when playing Apple Music to allow Airplay. Yet I can ask the HomePod to play music and it works fine.

I don't have a clue on fixing this new issue.

Thanks

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I don't have a solution for you, but I can tell you that you're not alone. The same thing happens to me quite often.

If you go to Control Center and click the Airplay icon, whatever is playing might show up on your phone. I've had some luck with that (though not every time I've tried it).

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Same. It just does not work. And regardless of software versions. Funnily enough a friend of mine mentioned that it doesn’t work for him either a couple of weeks ago.

Apple just seemingly are not able to get these connected device services working. Pathetic really.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
Just to clarify what you are trying to do????

Do you have music on your phone/Mac that is NOT on Apple Music and you are trying to airplay it to a hompepod?

Or are you playing Apple Music from your phone/Mac and trying to airplay it to your HomePod?

If the latter, why would you need to airplay it.....seeing as the HomePods have Apple Music built in anyway.

SoundMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
Hi everyone I have the latest iOS 17.2.1 and my MacBook Air m1 is running Sonoma 14.2.1

I'm wondering if it's my internet or Sonoma 14.2.1 because I can't even ariplay movies' from VLC or Elmedia player anymore:(

I'm just glad I'm not alone

Thank you for the replys

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Reboot your router and any network gear.

airplay uses mDNS (apple calls it bonjour) to advertise airplay to other devices. Basically each airplay device will send a packet to a special address that gets routed to all devices on your network to let them know that it's around. A lot of routers, especially the cheaper ones you get from your provider will get bogged down with those broadcast packets and stop forwarding them.

It's not an apple issue. it's probably a cheap network hardware issues.

use the program below, it shows you all of the mDNS packets coming into your computer (the same app exists for iPhone). Open it and look for "_airplay._tcp." expand that section, and you should see all of the airplay devices that exist on your network.

Reactions: b17777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.