Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Still not the best option for most, even in the Apple ecosystem. There are smart speakers in the market that do more, have better smart assistant and universal connectivity at half or a third of the price.
And sound like crap. How do you mean "do more"? Both the do more and "better smart assistant" are likely the same thing, and Apple's data privacy policies are why these do less.

cfj2222

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
I could never describe any of those as a “mess” or “ridiculous voice” when the comparison is Siri, which is the worst of all.

Regarding the other things, I also have privacy concerns (including with HomePod) but you are wrong about integration and Netflix, I have a Google Nest family of speakers, some with screens and some without and I can definitely watch videos on them, I can also integrate them with Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, Spotify, control the lights and security cameras. I really don’t why you say you can’t and I would even argue that they are more integrate-able than HomePods.
You cannot watch Netflix on Amazon Show devices. YouTube isn’t even a native app. It just sends you to the website. You have to ask Alexa to talk to other skills to get things done, then those skills often have their own voices to talk back. It’s ridiculous. Google devices have better integration, but an awful home app, you have to give Google your location and web history just to ask what the weather is. Why does Google need to know my history just to tell me the weather?

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
The key take away here, is the sound it’s putting out for the price point. Some of these other Smart speakers that you’re referring to that ‘do more’, come at the cost of sounding like garbage. And if the Mini can execute more rich and dynamic sound over the other smart speakers by spending an extra $30 more, then I’m all for it.

Did u read the entire article?

"while the HomePod mini sounds good, it doesn't sound as good as similarly priced competitors like the Amazon Echo and Google's Nest Audio"

Rundivisionwest

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
I wish apple would come out with a Sonos Move competitor....

Once that makes an appearance, I’ll sell my Sonos/Alexa setup and start replacing with Apple. (Sonos sounds great, but their app is clunky)
Await the “trash can” home pod 2 portable. Though with all of the small UE, JBL, Bose rechargeable speakers, many of us are still wondering why [home pod Mini], a small and seemingly portable device was manufactured as wired only? ... guess we will have to wait until 2021!

Last edited:

MrPresident

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Manchester
Has any one seen a review where and external power bank, iPad or Mac is used to power a HomePod Mini?

Very interested to see if these speakers can be used on the go.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I've had the original Google Home for years, and I quite like it but looking to upgrade due to a few issues:

- Good-but-not-great sound quality

- It can be a bit slow to respond to voice commands and start streaming. Spotify isn't too bad but if you say something like "OK Google, play BBC radio one" there can be a long delay before the stream actually starts. Sometimes 10 seconds or so, maybe even more. Siri is just soooo much faster at responding to commands.

- Worst of all, once a week or so it loses it's WiFi connection ("I'm sorry, I can't connect to the WiFi network")... and requires a reboot (power cycle) to start working again. It's in the same room as the WiFi router and none of my other devices have this issue. This wouldn't be so bad if you could say "OK google, reboot yourself" but of course it doesn't support that!

I'd buy a HomePod or HomePod mini in a heartbeat if they supported Spotify!

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Still not the best option for most, even in the Apple ecosystem. There are smart speakers in the market that do more, have better smart assistant and universal connectivity at half or a third of the price.
It sounds better being the key. And most Apple customers don’t want bugs in their house, so the Echo isn’t an option at any price point.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
You cannot watch Netflix on Amazon Show devices. YouTube isn’t even a native app. It just sends you to the website. You have to ask Alexa to talk to other skills to get things done, then those skills often have their own voices to talk back. It’s ridiculous. Google devices have better integration, but an awful home app, you have to give Google your location and web history just to ask what the weather is. Why does Google need to know my history just to tell me the weather?
O.K., you are correct with Alexa, those we have at work and I don't like them, and I find the app to be intrusive.

The Google Home app in fairness deserves a redesign too, but the history and location concern you have can be tricked, during setup you give permissions and then disable everything after, it will still work the same, sometimes you get an annoying message telling you you need to give access to X or Y but overall the device is usable without it, including traffic information and local news.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Could you explain your reasoning a little bit more? I seriously interested. I have a couple of homepods and have had echos and very rarely use them for smart aspects. Certain automations for me have been much easier to setup via homekit vs alexa. And I find having multiple brands makes things more difficult. I don't understand your comment of universal connectivity.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010

...and none of them are as well integrated to work as smoothly with other Apple products as this one, which is why it exists. I can’t send messages from my iPhone with a Google speaker, I can’t instantly hand off music from Apple Music, or use it via Airplay with an Apple TV Etc. It’s an Apple device to use with other Apple devices.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Amazon: have the original because it was free. Use it very occasionally for smart plugs. Works with harmony remote in that turn everything off. Pause tv. Etc. set timers.

Google w/screen: It’s ok. Lots of integration if you have YouTube tv, etc. Most knowledgeable if you ask stupid questions. Still don’t use hardly.

Homepod: Apple Music. Set a timer. Picks up commands very well. Doesn’t execute very well. Takes more time than you think to get what you want. Some songs it’s impossible for Siri to figure out. Very poor integration with Apple devices especially apply tv.

Sonos: by far the winner. Tv system. Music system. Most money by far. Get most out of.

Takeaway? Sonos for main room and the real investment. Have a few Amazon and google in various rooms. Homepods in office.

If Apple ever got serious with a real Apple TV sound system and a decent app or settings then I’m really on board. Homepod sounds fine for some apple music but everything else about it down to settings is a half baked mess.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Reminds me of printing when Steve Jobs said PostScript will be printing’s future. The printing purists, just garbage. Still quality printing but the future indeed dominated by PostScript. We can accept many compromises in perceived quality when accessibility, ease of use, costs are in our favor.

Reactions: hlfway2anywhere

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Could you explain your reasoning a little bit more? I seriously interested. I have a couple of homepods and have had echos and very rarely use them for smart aspects. Certain automations for me have been much easier to setup via homekit vs alexa. And I find having multiple brands makes things more difficult. I don't understand your comment of universal connectivity.
Sure. By the way I do not recommend Echos, they are very intrusive, I cannot hold a conversation with anyone without that thing annoying me. I do recommend the Google speakers, specially the ones with screens as I find the audio to be very good and the screens very useful and of good quality.

Both Alexa and Google speakers do more because they are smarter, they understand what you ask them, which is something Siri struggles even with simple requests. If you are not interested on those features you still get a good device that sounds amazing (in my opinion) and costs a lot less. The universal connectivity comment relates to how I am able to connect any service I want to my device without restriction, you choose: Spotify, Pandora, YouTube, Netflix, anything really.

If you are concerned about privacy there are a couple of things you can do, one of them is proceed to setup with all permissions and then disable them all, it works, that is how I did. Google is also able to recognize you by your voice, it can detect if it is my mother or me or whoever talking to it and produce results accordingly, I find that to be creepy so I set the option to NOT recognize anyone, so there you go...

Last edited:

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Currently have one HomePod and multiple Sonos. I was put off going all-in on HomePod because of the cost to change.

Now I can see me getting multiple HomePod minis and ditching the Sonos completely. Music is my main thing (rather than Siri) and the handoff between phone and the mini looks great.

Buy two minis.....the HomePod does sound great, but given that the reviews are saying the minis are almost as good, you will get more value out of 2 minis I would say.
So I was in the same boat. Had a beam, sub and 2 play 1's in 2 seperate rooms. I sold all the sonos, bought 4 open box homepods($154 each), downloaded 14.2 and got dolby atmos virtualization and pult $800 in my pocket. I'm not an audiophile so the sound is great for me. Now I'm going to buy a couple of HP mini's for the kids rooms and one for the kitchen. Full Apple Ecosystem, yes more expensive, but simplicity is great for the wife and kids.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Await the “trash can” home pod 2 portable. Though with all of the small UE, JBL, Bose rechargeable speakers, many of us are still wondering why [home pod Mini], a small and seemingly portable device was manufactured as wired only? ... guess we will have to wait until 2021!
Wired only because there is no room for a sizeable battery and to keep the cost down.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
“Unless you’re right next to the HomePod mini, it's hard to tell when Siri has heard your voice command and is responding.“

Dan, are you really telling me that you can’t tell if Siri is responding to you by LISTENING for her? You have to have a glowing light beam at you from across the room?

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
The key take away here, is the sound it’s putting out for the price point. Some of these other Smart speakers that you’re referring to that ‘do more’, come at the cost of sounding like garbage. And if the Mini can execute more rich and dynamic sound over the other smart speakers by spending an extra $30 more, then I’m all for it.
It doesn’t. The verge is a reputable magazine and says clearly that the HomePod mini doesn’t sound as good as alternative products with the same size.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
At the same price point you can get bigger speakers that sound better from Google, Amazon and Sonos. From the reviews, it sounds like HomePod mini has good sound for its size, not for its price.

Reactions: User 6502

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
I'm starting to think the writer(s) at the "Verge" must have been slighted by Apple, or something, 'cause this is 2 Apple-related articles in 2-3 days where they seem to have a hard.on for Apple's latest stuff.

Reactions: G5isAlive
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.