Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacWorks916

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
I have two new HomePod Mini's connect to my MacBook Pro. No other devices, all on the same network yet every time my MBP goes to sleep I have to reconnect to the speakers via AirPlay. You would think with the hundreds of engineers at Apple someone could actually fix this seemingly simple issue.

From the end-user's standpoint, it's really a shame to buy two Apple products that have such a poor user experience when used together.

curdy

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
BC, Canada
I use two HomePod Minis as the speakers for my Mac mini M2 (connected from the speaker icon in the menu bar). I find they are very hit and miss in terms of working/only one working/connecting every time.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
it's airplay, it's not designed to be a permanent connection, sounds like it's working like it's supposed to.

if it was dropping off mid-use, then it might be an issue, and I would suggest network problems, since in my experience, almost all airplay issues are network related.

On the aTV, there's a special setting that makes the HomePods the default output, if you're not using that and using airplay, you have to re-select when you turn it on.

• Love
Reactions: B/D

curdy

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
BC, Canada
I understand that they connect via AirPlay. However, it’s an option to use them as the sound output for your Mac, as I am. I don’t think the OP was discussing using an Apple TV for their HomePods which was why I brought up my example.

Resetting my router does often fix my issues but it’s a pain to do every day when I go to use my desktop.

MacWorks916

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
it's airplay, it's not designed to be a permanent connection, sounds like it's working like it's supposed to.

if it was dropping off mid-use, then it might be an issue, and I would suggest network problems, since in my experience, almost all airplay issues are network related.

On the aTV, there's a special setting that makes the HomePods the default output, if you're not using that and using airplay, you have to re-select when you turn it on.
Yes, I'm aware of the AppleTV default option, but this is for my MBP.

I know it's AirPlay and all that, but it still doesn't detract from my original point, Apple should do a better job of making this pairing seamless.

Reactions: MLVC

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I am having the same issue with a HPM and an M2 Mac mini. The HPM drops connection to the Mac overnight and usually will not reconnect when I select is as the output speaker; I have to restart it, sometimes more than once. Also, it will drop while playing and sometimes stutter like there is a loose connection, which ironically is true.

I have hoping that the next round of OS updates will fix this, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
They need to implement a default audio output setting in Mac OS that routes all system audio in real time to the pods, or at least with ultra low latency.

It it was doable with tvOS, I´ll bet is doable with Core Audio in Mac OS.

Until then, the pods are not really suitable as day to day computer speakers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.